The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know why my two red cherry shrimp are eating the plants in the tank? I thought normally these shrimp just clean off the algae, but mine full on chew through the leaves and pluck them off the plant stem, you can see it in the photos. They are eating my crypts and some unidentified plant I got from petco (will insert image). Are they just hungry? Should I be feeding them more? Currently I feed them about 1/8th of an algae wafer every night or every other night (entire algae wafer is the size of a dime) and I thought this would be enough for the two of them. They also get some of the food my Betta misses while feeding twice a day (usually a pellet or two) and they constantly eat algae.

Attachments

·
Plant Whisperer
2,550 Posts
If they are true cherries they are not the cause of the damage. They may however be attracted to the dying leaves to eat the micro fauna that is growing on the leaves.

The first plant is a crypt. They sometimes go through a "melt" phase where their leaves go clear like yours are and break off.

The other plants look like recent addition and probably have transportation damage.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If they are true cherries they are not the cause of the damage. They may however be attracted to the dying leaves to eat the micro fauna that is growing on the leaves.

The first plant is a crypt. They sometimes go through a "melt" phase where their leaves go clear like yours are and break off.

The other plants look like recent addition and probably have transportation damage.
Maybe they're just eating the dead leaves that fall off then...will keep an eye on that. Should I feed them less algae wafers since they're eating such high volume of plant matter?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.