The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soothing Shrimp and I have decided to start a little breeding project together and Bryce recently acquired these two shrimp which are residing with me currently in a tank of CRS/CBS/Goldens. We are both on the fence about if these are red bolts, pinks, or something else entirely. Both are sub adults and are not full grown. Now, I'm no Speedie when it comes to photos, my lenses just don't care to shoot through glass or acrylic for some reason so the sharpness and clarity aren't there. But these two photos are as true to life color wise as I can get. The top guy is a medium shade of pink like a dark rose quartz. The one on the bottom is more of a peachy pink, really beautiful little thing. The water is slightly tannin stained which may throw a slight golden cast on them (that I don't see in person, but the camera pics up on it). So what say you? Do we have a couple of red bolts, low quality red bolts, or something different altogether? They've only been in the tank for 12 days so they could still be coloring up, they've gained a lot of color since they arrived. I will try to get better photos (I try every day!) but in the meantime these are the ones that best show their true colors without contrast or anything bumped up. Thank you in advance!

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
The second pic looks just like some of my lower grade goldens that keep popping up from my CRS which are from Hong Kong. It has that exact same color.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think they are remarkable. They look nothing like the Goldens I have in the tank with them but I admit being fairly clueless with Goldens and Taiwans and realize Goldens come in different 'shades'. And that first little dude is probably the most active thing in the tank...and even being smaller than the CRS he ain't afraid of ANYTHING! LOL! He proudly kicks tail to take food. Hopefully we can get some neat things out of the group:)

·
Registered
880 Posts
Hey, I did take another picture of the shrimp before I sent them, it was much pinker. I think the tank it was in influenced it a lot, because in one of my tanks it was orange, but when I transferred it, it turned bright pinkish red.

It's the one in the center. Sorry the picture stinks! As you can see however, it is definitely special. The SSS+ shrimp are of a special grade, the S grades are normal looking crs, and none are close to the level of red speckling (which is under the shell as well as on it) that the red shrimp has.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
these look like golden crystals with a slight pink tint on the white of their shell. i have seen that pink tint on some CRS I've owned in the past.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Golden is an interesting shrimps, they look great by themselves, they can help getting "higher grade" bee shrimps as a shortcut, you can breed toward a whiter shrimp (most people consider this as higher grade), you can use the low grade to help breed BB.

Or, like me, breed it with CWS and getting something like the following. This shimp is not 1.5 months, there are different but similar patterns on the same batch. The transparent part has changed colours a few times, sometimes it shows as bluish, sometimes brownish, but always semi-transparent.

·
Super Moderator
15,260 Posts
For the most part, I've found this to mean the shrimp is stressed or attempting to adjust to new parameters.

Though, I've got a few low-grade CRS that have maintained pinkish color throughout their entire lives, only dropping it when they get berried.

when I transferred it, it turned bright pinkish red.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
these look like golden crystals with a slight pink tint on the white of their shell. i have seen that pink tint on some CRS I've owned in the past.
That's not a pink tint to the white. I have close ups I'll post this afternoon. Where the pink color is is where there is absence of white altogether. They are pink bodied, I see them on the side of the tank walls enough, have pics of that too:)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts