The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it a good:wink2: or bad sign>:) that my blyxa japonica is red / almost purple? It's very pretty, but when I bought it, it was bright green... I read some posts here saying it was good, and others saying it was bad, not sure what to think. Any advice appreciated. This is in a 5 gallon fluval spec tank with the stock led lighting and c02 (1 bubble / 2 seconds).

Attachments

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Is it a good:wink2: or bad sign>:) that my blyxa japonica is red / almost purple? It's very pretty, but when I bought it, it was bright green... I read some posts here saying it was good, and others saying it was bad, not sure what to think. Any advice appreciated. This is in a 5 gallon fluval spec tank with the stock led lighting and c02 (1 bubble / 2 seconds).
Hi sfshrimp,

Welcome to TPT!

Blyxa japonica will get reddish leaves if it gets a lot of light; think of it as sort of 'sunburn'. It doesn't necessary hurt the plant as long as sufficient nutrients are available.

In looking at your picture the light seems to be 'pinkish'? If so that will further enhance the redness of the leaves, under an incandescent light it is likely it would not look that red.

·
Banned
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi thank you. The light is stock from the fluval spec 5, I can't seem to find specs on the color temperature, but I do a lot of photography and can say it does not have any yellow or color in it. It looks like a fairly cool LED and bright as hell, although people here have said that this light is "weak." The photo I posted is also not great, but if you look at the red cherry shrimp in contrast to the plant you will see it has a fair bit of blue... The plant also has a ton of growth, and doesn't look unhealthy whatsoever, so is it good or bad?

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Hi sfshrimp,

Is it good or bad? Probably neither; as long as there are sufficient nutrients in there the plant should not suffer.

·
Banned
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok cool. I really like the way it looks, a splash of curly color. Thanks for your input, just wanted to see what more experienced hobbyists thought.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.