The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 56 gallon (tall) tank. it is a low tech planted. i was wondering if piranhas would be good in there and if so how many? i have been doing some research on them and i am getting both mixed info on this. I thought maybe you guys would be able to help me out. any info would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
252 Posts
cool, p's are cool fish to have, theres a general basis on 20-25 gallon per fish for them, but it really depends on how big they actually get(may not be enough)reds especially get big and fast too usually around the 8-10 inch mark. for them ide suggest you go long not tall on the tank,they really need the side to side and front to back swim space. theyll want to hang out at the bottom alot aswell which means their will be some uprooting on your plants.(they can be prety skitish and bang around at times) also try to get them as small as you can,that way theyl get used to having youre tank lights on them.as far as plants.....people usually recomend a variety of swords, maybe some kind of moss dwarf sag? the limiting factor being the amuont of light youll have... go for what youd like to see delicate stems will most likely get broken though...gl

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for responding. I think I am going to wait until I have a long tank. I know my LFS carries them all the time so it not like I won't be able to get them in the future, and the ones he get in are aobut the size of a dime so that will take care on the lighting problem.

thanks again for the input.

jeffthefish looked up bichirs and they are awesome looking fish but you need a long tank and I have a tall and you need a lid or cover and my tank is open. but thanks for the imput. they really are cool looking fish.

·
Registered
144 Posts
www.piranha-fury.com <--- for all your piranha specific needs

I have 9 RBP's in a 120gal tank. This is a 4'x2'x2' tank (I think?) and would be crowded with more P's in there. These fish are less than a year old and are around palm sized. They grow fast and can get 6-8" long. They need their room and need room to shoal. Also, you need several fish to spread out the aggression in the tank or you'll end up with only 1 or 2 fish left.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
i have a 56 gallon (tall) tank. it is a low tech planted. i was wondering if piranhas would be good in there and if so how many? i have been doing some research on them and i am getting both mixed info on this. I thought maybe you guys would be able to help me out. any info would be great.

Thanks
It would be probably fit a lone Serrasalmus sp. really well until adulthood.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.