The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so ive noticed 2 out of my 4 keep turning almost this solid black with no red on them... i feed them chicken, gold fish, and cichlid pellets... if you need more info please ask for it... i just started to notice it a few days ago...

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no they are acting normal they school and eat with each other... they did like a week ago pic out there own section of the tank and they where fighting over them... but not any more

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Do you have a thermometer to double-check that temp? Fish sometimes go darker in color when the temperature drops. And if the ambient temperature in the house has changed at all, it wouldn't be uncommon.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yea i put it in 10 mins ago and its reading 79(F) just like it should be... i checked it in more then one spot to... and i know this is a good thermostat... so the reading are correct...and the temp the one room stays at a steady 75(F) because i have many snakes and geckos i keep in this room

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
i think that 79F is a little cool for them, I have had great luck keeping them at about 85F

also...
PH?
Can you post a pic so we can see what kind structure you have in the tank? Without alot of cover they tend to show less color... I also would recommend some blackwater extract

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yea i have a HUGE long in there they hind under... and some plants they hind behind... i don't know the PH right now... and i have charcoal in the filter and it takes black water extract out so what should i do about putting in the filter that wont that the extract out?

like right now they are REALLY red that good but some days (only some) they will be a dark black (whole body)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.