The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you guys help me find a red background plant that stays around 18" without to much trimming and really stays full. I really do not want a leggy plant. This will be in a 48 ADA gallon aquarium.

Thanks

·
Registered
782 Posts
My experience with plants in general has been that to get a bushy, full look, you will have to do a bit of pruning initially to force side shoots to grow. Once you achieve the number of side branchings you want, you dont have to cut much, if at all, for quite a while unless the "adult size" of the species is too big.

How red do you want the plant? Many species have red tips, or a red tinge. Not a lot of plants are straight-up RED colored throughout.

·
Registered
326 Posts
depends on how well you can supply the plants needs. usually "leggy plants' are a result of too little light for that particular plant. is your tank a high tech tank? low tech tank? some suggestions/ rotala mac red, ludwugia red, rotala sunset, ludwigia senegalensis..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.