The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a 10 gallon tank (not the kit) in the next month or so. I want to stay in the low-medium light range since this tank is going to be a shrimp tank (don't plan on using ferts or CO2). I know that the Fugeray is a very good option, but the 20" version is going to set me back about $65. If I go with the version with the red LEDs, that figure jumps to $72. I'm just wondering if there are any other good alternatives. I think I'd rather stick to LEDs because of their longevity, so I realize that the Fugeray may be my best bet in the long run. Still, I'm open to suggestions...

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Real cheap and easy is to just get a standard 10g incandescent hood, and stick in some daylight CFLs.

You'll have to replace them every now and then, but 13-23 watts or so is a pretty common size, so is fairly cheap. It will probably be several years before the cost of replaced bulbs and extra energy use will come anywhere near an LED setup.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What other options do I have if I want to keep the top open? As for not using ferts or CO2 (or excel), it's because I want to keep neos in this tank. However, if I am able to dose ferts and carbon with neos, then I'd certainly be willing to do that.

·
Premium Member
848 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. I saw that light but thought it might be a bit small for a 10g. I'll definitely have to look into it.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Another cheap option for open-top would be to make CFL pendents out of brooder lights, two would probably work great for a 10g (might have to search for a higher wattage CFL then what you would use in a hood, since it's going to be further from the substrate), and you should be able to get them from somewhere twixt $10 and $15ish.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Marineland Single Bright. $35 - 40. I have one. Looks good and plenty of light for moss and ferns.
The Fugeray-R is about the same price and puts out better light I believe. Besides, I want to grow a little more than just moss and ferns. Thanks for the suggestion though.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Another cheap option for open-top would be to make CFL pendents out of brooder lights, two would probably work great for a 10g (might have to search for a higher wattage CFL then what you would use in a hood, since it's going to be further from the substrate), and you should be able to get them from somewhere twixt $10 and $15ish.
Do you have a link to the product? I'm not sure what CFL pendants and brooder lights are.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Ebay- 6500k SMD Led 5050- 7.5watts and 20" excatly, Less then $20.
This is what I did, sits right on the tanks glass... I use two for the high end of low light.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-150-Watt-Incandescent-Clamp-Light-CE-300PDQ/100354511
That fixture is cheap. You only need one for a ten g tank. Place a shelf bracket onthe wall above it and hang it from that. Spray paint it black on the outside and remove the clamp.
This bulb is best for the plants but has a low visible level of light to you
at 650 lumens.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/EcoSmart...EC-_-NavPLPHorizontal1-4-_-NA-_-202102934-_-N
This bulb is better for viewing. I would get one of each and use this just for viewing but I don't know how they would take to being screwed into the fixture frequently. This one is also great for plants, but in horticulture they are switching to 5500K and say it's actually better for the plants.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-...-4-Pack-420091/203248911?N=5yc1vZbmatZ1z0u18w

Unless you want to fight algae do not use two of these or a bulb higher than 15W...no 23-26W bulbs. BTDT

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Thanks for posting that Raymond S.

rcs0926> I wasn't thinking of a complete product so much as I was a DIY bit. CFL is just Compact Fluorescent Light - the type that Raymond linked to, designed to fit in a standard twist-in light bulb socket. They are fairly common and inexpensive, and the daylight ones seem to work fairly well for smaller tanks. The brooder lamps make excellent (and cheap) reflectors, and you can either use the clamp, or remove it and hang them from something. As Raymond said, one bulb would likely be enough, but if you hang it higher off the tank, you're going to loose some intesity, so in that case you may want a bigger bulb or another lamp.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the information guys. I think I have my mind set on the Fugeray-R, but if I need to save money for other needed tank purchases, I'll consider going with the clamp and CFL bulb.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts