The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at Finnex and at Satellite, but it seems like the light would be a little weak to penetrate to a depth of 20"? I've been recommended to use a homemade concoction of hanging lights or something of the sort. I just don't have the know how or oomph to do that.

I'd like something I can just pop on there and have no fuss later. My light on my 20 gal was on a timer and was nothing fancy, but it seems a little harder to do on a 48" tank. Suggestions?

-Empress Akitla

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
The Finnex planted+ (maybe the 24/7?) with remote dialed in at 60-80% works from what I've been told. The Finnex 24/7 on 24/7 mode grows algae in my tank. The Satellite+ NON PRO will be a fine low tech tank, but a cheap beamswork fixture will output similar par. Jeff is a beamswork information robot. I think 2-3 of the 10.5" shop lights with 13w, 6500K, bulbs would do you just fine if you don't mind the look of the fixture. Start on a 6 hour photoperiod and you'll be golden. I would have gone with that same setup on my 55g if aesthetics wasn't my main concern with this tank.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I'm predicting both fixtures would be legit without even knowing what you want to do. what plants are you trying to grow.The lower the light you start with the better, the more stability and more free range to f up in it all with out dire consequences. But if you think your light is too low for your options, look into a used bml, or metal halide and see your results.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I've been looking at Finnex and at Satellite, but it seems like the light would be a little weak to penetrate to a depth of 20"? I've been recommended to use a homemade concoction of hanging lights or something of the sort. I just don't have the know how or oomph to do that.

I'd like something I can just pop on there and have no fuss later. My light on my 20 gal was on a timer and was nothing fancy, but it seems a little harder to do on a 48" tank. Suggestions?

-Empress Akitla
Check out 48" LED shop lights..
Feit Electric 4 ft. LED Utility Shop Light-73990 - The Home Depot

Timers are fine.. This part. model is just an example. Seem the cheap "wrap around" LED's in 4' are a bit harder to find.
Had one over my 55 when I first got it up and running. Way too much light for a new tank.. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.