The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am beginning my research into a 385-400g TALL (96"x 25"x 36") aquarium. I am a little confused with all of the lighting options. I see measurements of watts per gallon, PAR, lumens per gallon, etc. I am partial to LED lights due to power consumption as well as low profile.

I will be planting carpet grass , mosses as well as taller plants, with CO2 injection. I am hopeful to create a aquascape, not just a planted tank...

Any direction here would be great. Specifically Light brands, length of light bar, and number of light bars. Rationale behind your choice will be most helpful. I am curious how to arrive at the best solution.

Any help here would be great.....

·
Registered
814 Posts
That depth is going to be tough to maintain. I recently had a 280 gallon (72 x 24 x 37" H) and I had to drain about a 1/3 of the tank if I wanted to be able to reach the bottom without holding my breath. I used a DIY light setup, so I am not going to be much of a help for you there. I had a bit of trouble getting light to the bottom without ending up with green spot algae on the front panel.

I love me a big tank though, make sure you journal it for us.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That depth is going to be tough to maintain. I recently had a 280 gallon (72 x 24 x 37" H) and I had to drain about a 1/3 of the tank if I wanted to be able to reach the bottom without holding my breath. I used a DIY light setup, so I am not going to be much of a help for you there. I had a bit of trouble getting light to the bottom without ending up with green spot algae on the front panel.

I love me a big tank though, make sure you journal it for us.
Thanks for the note. Good to know. I am excited about the big tank, I just want to do it right. What did you use for filtration? I am interested in a sump set up, but the wife does not want to hear ANY noise. ( trickling water, etc ). I have great experience with canisters. Looking at an Eheim 2262, due to my years of great experience with twin 2217's

·
Registered
814 Posts
Thanks for the note. Good to know. I am excited about the big tank, I just want to do it right. What did you use for filtration? I am interested in a sump set up, but the wife does not want to hear ANY noise. ( trickling water, etc ). I have great experience with canisters. Looking at an Eheim 2262, due to my years of great experience with twin 2217's
I had a 90ish gallon sump that was plumbed through a wall into my laundry room. If you set up bean animal overflows, it is silent. I can't hear my current sump system unless my filter sock is clogging or something is off. So, I hear it once a week.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.