The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 56 deep tank. The tank itself is a bit of an odd size -- 30" wide and 24" deep.

I have been running two Coralife Aqualight-S. After getting them (I needed two to get what seemed like enough light at that depth for good plant growth), I realized the reviews were not so great, and sure enough, one has recently died. The remotes never really worked well anyway, and I plan to switch to something with brighter output (ideally a single light instead of having to have two).

I've been looking at the Finnex Planted+ or Planted+ 24/7, mostly because they seem to be well reviewed and come in the 30" length I need. If I pulled the trigger tomorrow I'd likely do the 24/7, even though I likely won't use the fancy color timer -- just put it on the timer with my CO2, largely because the black color looks better than the silver in my setup (silly reason, I know, but my wife lets the tanks be in prominent places as long as they look nice...).

Was curious...do folks think a single 24/7 will have adequate light for a medium planted tank? I've got rotala, several varieties of bacopa, some large swords, cabomba, christmas moss, and some baby tears that never really took off (I'm guessing not enough light from the dual aqualight-s)

Also, anything that is clearly a better choice to consider? I'm willing to pay more than the Finnex if something else is clearly better, don't care about remote/color changing, but would like it to really be 30' (rules out the Fluval plant and current sat pro), bright enough to work with the deep-ish tank, and ideally black...

Last, if the Finnex is best...is there any really good reason to do the old planted+ over the 24/7? Seems most folks aren't totally convinced the 660nm lights are that important...

·
Registered
12,735 Posts
I have a 56 deep tank. The tank itself is a bit of an odd size -- 30" wide and 24" deep.

I've been looking at the Finnex Planted+ or Planted+ 24/7, mostly because they seem to be well reviewed and come in the 30" length I need. If I pulled the trigger tomorrow I'd likely do the 24/7, even though I likely won't use the fancy color timer -- just put it on the timer with my CO2, largely because the black color looks better than the silver in my setup (silly reason, I know, but my wife lets the tanks be in prominent places as long as they look nice...).

Was curious...do folks think a single 24/7 will have adequate light for a medium planted tank? I've got rotala, several varieties of bacopa, some large swords, cabomba, christmas moss, and some baby tears that never really took off (I'm guessing not enough light from the dual aqualight-s)

Also, anything that is clearly a better choice to consider? I'm willing to pay more than the Finnex if something else is clearly better, don't care about remote/color changing, but would like it to really be 30' (rules out the Fluval plant and current sat pro), bright enough to work with the deep-ish tank, and ideally black...

Last, if the Finnex is best...is there any really good reason to do the old planted+ over the 24/7? Seems most folks aren't totally convinced the 660nm lights are that important...
30" wide makes it practically impossible for one fixture, esp. LED
One alternate:
EVO Quad 30" Timer 6500K LED Light System Plant Version by Green Element
The EVO Quad 30" is the baddest LED light fixture available. Thirty six powerful 3W LEDs are packed into one space saving fixture. This plant version is fitted with 6500K LEDs that are used for planted freshwater setups. The EVO LED provides a high quality, energy efficient light fixture that will shimmer through your aquarium at the flip of a switch. This unit also features external LED drivers, two mode on/off switches, extendable wire brackets, and anodized aluminum housing. Optional timer module, cooling fans, and hanging kit are also available for future add ons.
Features:

• Dimensions - 29.00” x 9.25” x 1.25”
  • Brackets add 0.65" in height
  • Includes 36 LEDs
  • 4400 Lumen
  • 3 watt LEDs
  • 36x 6500K
  • $110
One advantage is by removing the outside row optics you get those to 120 degrees..
giving roughly a 20" spread at 4" off the water line..

2 30" FSPEC's are much stronger and at the same price point allowing better f/back coverage..
About $100
30" DA 80 80x - 4800 lumen 51x 10000K, 16x Actinic, 7x Red, 6x Green

Reactions: amelampus

·
Registered
527 Posts
I don't think the 24/7 will do it for that deep of a tank. I'd be tempted to get the Ray 2. I've got one on a 29 gallon tank (18" deep by 30" wide) and my plants are very happy.

·
Premium Member
2,029 Posts
I have the Green Element light that is the 2 row version of the EVO quad that Jeffkroll posted above. I have a bow front tank 24 inches deep I use an 18" dual and a 36" dual with a modified dual fluorescent in between. It gets plenty of light down to the substrate to grow most things but I'm not crazy about the color but that is really a personal thing. I've had them both for over a year and no issues at all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts