The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that bettas need filters as much as other fishes even though they can mostly breathe air, but for some reason whenever I place an external filter on very slow in my betta tank three things will happen...

1. Betta loses colour.
2. Betta gets unpredictable
3. Betta tries to jump out.

Also, the betta tank is in my room and I don't want any noises that can interfere with my sleep. So, any suggestions?

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
A smaller filter is just fine for a Betta.
Small amount of water movement is all that is needed for a lightly stocked tank.

Those are stress signs so there is something the Betta does not like, but the problem might not be the water movement.

How big a tank, and what size filter were you using?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My tank is a rimless 3.5 gallon tank stocked with just 1 betta, 1 java fern and a LOT of water lettuces (it's a work in progress, and I had to turn the filter off). The filter I used was a HOB filter set to very low and crammed full of kitchen sponges (washed and cleaned thoroughly to make sure it's not harmful) to make the water go even slower. I feed him several small pellets of food a day and I change the water every one to two weeks. I had him since late August.

Strangely though, ever since I turned off the filter a few weeks back, my betta has been getting more and more active. He can now swim around the tank and some of his color is returning back to his scales. So either there is something in the water or the filter was responsible.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I use Azoo Palm filters on all 4 of my small tanks and have for years. They can be turned down to practically a drip once they're full of sponges so it shouldn't bother your betta at all. It's also sometimes called an Azoo Mignon filter, I think it's the same thing.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Bettas don't like flow. In the wild, bettas live in sheltered still water. Usually they stay in small pockets of water among the vegitation.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
The Hydor Elite Mini Internal Filter is great for a betta tank. It's small, quiet, internal, and the outflow is adjustable as far as the flow itself and the direction of the flow. It uses a sponge for both bio and mechanical filtration so the media never needs to be changed out. It's about $6 on Amazon. Oh, and it's rated for 3g but will work fine up to 5g with just a betta in the tank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts