The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have been researching a while and have been planning to start a planted tank. I have some marginal experience from years ago. Last time I had a DIY yeast system. I would like to try pressurized CO2, but still contemplating low tech. Here is what I plan to get so far Mr Aqua low iron 25gallon, cabinet stand, Fluval G3, possibly hydor inline heater, ecocomplete fine grain, and battling between a kessil a150 amazon sun, and a finnex either 2 planted plus or 1 ray2...my guess 2 lights vs. 1 kessil about the same price. I have had a finnex ray2 db on a peackock/hap tank, and I have had kessil ocean blue's on my nano reef at the end. Sorry rambling let me get to the point.

What is a good CO2 system including diffuser/atomizer for a 25 gallon...around 200 range at cap because I am already throwing some money down?

If I run an inline heater on a fluval G3 will an inline diffuser be too much reduction in flow...knowing that it is programmed? I thought the fluval sounded really neat and I have wanted one, but I am open to suggestion.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What ebay brand regulator solenoid should I go for? How about inline diffuser vs reg diffuser? Will it be a problem with an inline heater

·
Registered
1,855 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm a beginner with pressurized and I've just got an Azoo regulator (has a solenoid), picked it up for $65, couldn't be happier. Got a bubble checker from Ebay, 5 Pound tank and some C02 tubing. I'm really happy with that setup
As for diffuser I'm quite disappointed with the performance of the nano ada style diffuser and ended up plugging it into my HOB filter, I get better dissolved C02 from that. But I'm looking to upgrade to a Fluval soon and will be making a Cerges reactor. So easy to make, seems to be best performance.

All in that will cost you about $200.

That's my 10c.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I'd look into a PB setup. I would ask for what the reliable brands are though. When thinking about a PB setup there is really two schools of thought...either get a PB (only) regulator or get a standard CGA 320 regulator and use an adapter to fit a PB tank. The PB regulators are typically a little less expensive and the advantage of going with a standard sized regulator allows it to be used with a larger tank, providing you may get one that is a tad too small for a PB tank somewhere down the road.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Is the Primo CO2 system overkill for my size tank...and for being beginner in pressurized CO2...just have experience with DIY years ago
If I was starting from scratch again I would probably go with something simply like this... http://greenleafaquariums.com/co2-regulators/atomic-co2-regulator-v3.html. The bonus is it has a CGA 320 connector so you can hook it up to 5, 10 or 20 lbs co2 tank. Paint ball will only last a short while, but the larger tanks will last a long long time on a 25g.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I was starting from scratch again I would probably go with something simply like this... http://greenleafaquariums.com/co2-regulators/atomic-co2-regulator-v3.html. The bonus is it has a CGA 320 connector so you can hook it up to 5, 10 or 20 lbs co2 tank. Paint ball will only last a short while, but the larger tanks will last a long long time on a 25g.
How about the aquatek premium regulator with the solenoid and bubble counter on a 5lb tank and buy the gla inline atomic diffuser. Would the diffuser work with this regulator

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
How about the aquatek premium regulator with the solenoid and bubble counter on a 5lb tank and buy the gla inline atomic diffuser. Would the diffuser work with this regulator
That'll work too, the aquatek is not the best imo, especially not the needle valve, but some folks use them, and like 'em.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That'll work too, the aquatek is not the best imo, especially not the needle valve, but some folks use them, and like 'em.
is the up aqua adjustable pressure regulator for aquariums better? It seems gla is out of the atomic v3

1 - 13 of 13 Posts