The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a preferred algae wafer that both oto’s and shrimp can eat? I’m finding some mixed reviews regarding most commercially available wafers and want to make sure I’m feeding the right things. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Most of my otos haven't taken wafers. I throw oak leaves in (prepared by boiling and soaking) and nuked veggies. Repashy makes a formula for gel called soilent green that a lot of people that actively feed their otos use with a lot of success.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I use algae wafers by new life spectrum and both the amano shrimps and the otos like the wafers.

Otos latch on to the wafers first until the amanos descend down and bully the Otos to give up and snatch the pieces and cart them away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
351 Posts
Mine will eat Hikari algae wafers but prefer blanched veggies. I also make my own food from all the extra duckweed I have. I think a lot of it depends on how hungry they are. All my otos compete with shrimp for algae and biofilm so they aren't that picky

·
Registered
110 Posts
In my case, they were pretty easy going with any food type I've introduced. From blanched zucchini, shrimp pellets, repashi, generic algae wafer, etc. At first, it took them a couple of days to recognize the food. I try to keep my food to one corner of the tank, so sometimes they just sit there and wait for the tank gods to send them some food.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I have a few that love raw zucchini - just slice it - wash it - put a plant weight in it - but not all of the ottos go for it - just 2 or 3 of my 10 (but they jump on it everytime it touches the water).

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
A lot of the commercially sold algae wafers are actually mostly protein meal with a small amount of algae added. Most Otos don't bother with those wafers in my experience. But I have never successfully fed my Otos anything. Even the tried and true blanched zucchini&leafy greens get ignored. I assume it's because a fat, healthy, Oto full of algae doesn't need much supplementary feeding.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies y’all. I put some blanched zucchini in the tank today and they loved it. However so did the pest snails I’m dealing with! Heading to the LFS in the morning for a couple assassin snails.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mine will eat Hikari algae wafers but prefer blanched veggies. I also make my own food from all the extra duckweed I have. I think a lot of it depends on how hungry they are. All my otos compete with shrimp for algae and biofilm so they aren't that picky
I’m always getting rid of duckweed and red floaters. How do you make food out of them? Would be great instead of throwing them out weekly!

·
Registered
351 Posts
I’m always getting rid of duckweed and red floaters. How do you make food out of them? Would be great instead of throwing them out weekly!
I went off of a video from Marks shrimps. Basically I gather duckweed and keep it frozen until I get a gallon freezer bag full. Then I blend it with spirulina and bee pollen and some clay to help it sink. I posted a thing on it here
Duckweed experiment

I need to make another batch now that I have otos in three tanks instead of just the 75 gallon.

Reactions: Plinkploop

·
Banned
628 Posts
Most of my otos haven't taken wafers. I throw oak leaves in (prepared by boiling and soaking) and nuked veggies. Repashy makes a formula for gel called soilent green that a lot of people that actively feed their otos use with a lot of success.
The only problem with soilent green is that it's made out of people.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is there a preferred algae wafer that both oto’s and shrimp can eat? I’m finding some mixed reviews regarding most commercially available wafers and want to make sure I’m feeding the right things. Thanks!
Algae wafers and most all aquatic/fish foods are not cheap and they can go fast. Boiling Spinach or thin sliced squashes or cukes for three minutes, then placing them on the bottom of the tank help. Only add one slice per day or two spinach leaves. Use a small rock/pebble to hold them down. Here is an easy QUICK recipe that shrimp, cory's and otocinclus and other fish all seem to like. Easy to get ingredients at many health food stores and some grocery stores. My recipe, A third of a cup of spirulina powder, a teaspoon of bee pollen, a teaspoon of calcium POWDER from either 100% calcium pills, (peoples calcium pills) or crushed and ground egg shell or crushed and ground to a powder oyster shell. Pour HOT water over this mixture. Keep it in a small jar or tupperware etc. Mix into a THICK paste. Let stand about 15 minutes. Add to a piece of drift wood, rock or something that will sink. Let it dry completely before adding to tank. It wont cloud water. It will stay in place. You can get 100% Spirulina tablets at many stores around the pharmacy. It's cheap and goes a long ways. Just crush to a powder. Eggs are easy to get and crush. Bee pollen at any health food store or maybe your own grocery store. Only add maybe a teaspoon of the paste every other day. Keep the rest in the frig. and add a wee bit of hot water if need be each time you use it. They all need calcium. The Otocinclus and shrimp will like the spirulina, small green organism that is very good for people too. Similar to algae. The bee pollen is high in protein. Use common sense as to how much to use. If you have few fish/shrimp add less mixture to the wood, rock etc.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.