The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some room for more fish in my tank and was thinking that I need some color. Current residents are 15 neon rainbows, 9 rummynose, 6 cardinal tetras a pair of Milowe Kribs (beautiful btw), and one blue beta (living luxuriously in 85 gallons). Love them all, but there is a lot of gray body in this mix.

A school of Red would be nice. Like Cherry Barbs when in color, but they don't seem to be in color often form the tanks I see.

Always liked Bosmanie Rainbows, think they look great in a 6-foot long tank, not sure about a 4-footer.

So what do you think? What will play nice and add some constant color to the tank?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I was thinking rainbows. But I'm hooked on rainbows, lol. They'd get along with everyone.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like Rainbows too. I think the larger rainbows look like they need more than 48" to swim in though. Of the smaller ones, yellow seems to dominate. They're on the list.

I do like the small rasboras, but I agree, they will probably disappear in the tank and plants. If I was going to go small , I'd opt for CPDs.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Irian rainbows are nice. Cherry barbs...maybe the ones you're looking at that aren't colored nicely are female? The males are the bright red while the females are more dull. Orange swordtails, but they don't really school. A pair of Bosemani would be all right...I've kept pairs in 55 gallon tanks and they were happy and active.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
School of red!

About two dozen homegrown red Glofish juveniles in my 10g grow-out tank.

They're a nice red color even under regular lighting, but the more UV/actinic you have, the more they glow.

Downsides?

1) $4-$8 each at my local stores; but you might be able to breed your own as I did.

2) Mature males can be aggressive, harassing other males and females. The father of this school was particularly so, and he even viewed guppies as potential rivals. But I originally had only a few Glofish, and I hear bigger schools are supposed to reduce this. Another option is to keep females only, and that's working out great in my community tank.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts