The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some stocking suggestions for a 20 gallon long tank. I would like to have a small school of 8-10 nano schooling fish, around 1 inch max size, that tend to school tightly on the top 1/3 of the tank. I am not a big fan of most tetra species, and I am having trouble finding good options because typically most micro fish tend to shoal more than school.

I can adjust the tank paramaters according to the species, but I would prefer a tank with low tannins, and my water has a higher PH of 7.5-8.

A few options I am currently considering:
  • Glowlight Pygmy Barb / dwarf carplet / horadandia atukorali
  • Emerald Eye Rasbora / rasbora dorsiocellata
Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
22 Posts
They might be a bit larger than what you're looking for but I highly recommend forktail/furcata rainbow fish. Extremely personable and cool fish. The males will harmlessly spar with each other daily in a really cool fashion where they do circles around each other. Good genetics can be a bit of an issue though, so I'd definitely recommend doing your due diligence with finding as good of a source as possible.

·
Registered
708 Posts
The Asian Rummynose, Sawbwa resplendens, might fit the bill. They prefer a higher pH than most small tetras & rasboras.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions! On a related note, does anyone know of a good website that regularly has smaller / more niche fish in stock? (if LFS can't order in). I live in the Midwest, USA.

I always find myself doing tons of research and finding the perfect fish, and then I can never find a good place to order them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Unfortunately I don't have any good species recommendation. I do want to point out that many times schooling fish won't school as tightly as people would hope once they acclimate and settle in a tank. Just something to keep in mind regardless of what species you end up getting. I hope to see some pictures once you do get everything done 📷

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unfortunately I don't have any good species recommendation. I do want to point out that many times schooling fish won't school as tightly as people would hope once they acclimate and settle in a tank. Just something to keep in mind regardless of what species you end up getting. I hope to see some pictures once you do get everything done 📷
Yeah, it is very frustrating. I wish those little guys were easier to train 😂

Side note, I used to have a group of 5 Glowlight Pygmy Barbs in a 10 gallon, obviously not an ideal schooling setup, but those little fish were the best little schoolers I have ever seen. They always schooled very tightly even though their only tankmates were snails and shrimp. I have been trying to get them again, but having no luck, which is partially why I asked for suggestions. Anyway, great little fish!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts