The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I start to have green dust algae on my low iron glass tank. I wonder if anyone has recommendations for a good algae scrubber that you use (either handle type or magnetic type) that are good and safe for low iron glass?

Many thanks,

·
Are these real?
15,750 Posts
I am a simple person and use a high-limit credit card. Requires to get your arms wet, so that may not work for you.
Some of the razor blade types may scratch your nice glass. Done it myself, surprised me because glass is really hard. Just not scratch-proof.
Some of the magnetic scrubbers risk that you're picking up substrate (like a piece of Flourite) and scratch up the glass.

·
Registered
330 Posts
^^ Some of those kitchen sponges are also designed to resist mold, so make sure you get the most basic ones. Personally, I use a non-scented melamine sponge (magic eraser). I started using them to clean hard water spots off of an acrylic aquarium and started using them for my glass aquariums as well.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
^^ Some of those kitchen sponges are also designed to resist mold, so make sure you get the most basic ones. Personally, I use a non-scented melamine sponge (magic eraser). I started using them to clean hard water spots off of an acrylic aquarium and started using them for my glass aquariums as well.
I can't believe I didn't mention this. Yes, I use Magic Eraser too. It really is magic, just don't use it to try to scrub anything abrasive from the glass. Small pieces of sponge fall in the water, and fish mistake it for food. Ask me how I know this =(

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Unscented magic erasers are a great option for green dust or brown spot algae. Cut one in half and you got two! MAGIC! I clean and reuse them until they start to fall apart.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I use a razor blade and slice a thin piece of magic eraser to fit a magnetic scraper and put it between the scraper and the glass and I don't get my hands wet .

Reactions: sm1ke

·
Premium Member
Rank Amateur
1,371 Posts
I am a simple person and use a high-limit credit card. Requires to get your arms wet, so that may not work for you.
The higher, the more effective! :). I mount mine to one of those razor holders on a stick type algae scrapers.....

Ah, there was an old credit card holder on amazon, here, I've heard good things about this: https://www.amazon.com/FL-PPER-Plat...+card+aquarium+scrubber&qid=1611772602&sr=8-1
Well sunnavagun! They stole my idea and made something even better! What awesomeness!

I’d like to point out that mine is more agile amongst tight spaces but they get credit for user friendliness install, tongue in cheek self awareness, and most importantly, bringing it to market and actually making money !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.