The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 20L, and want to try my hand at a planted tank. I've had success keeping a few low light plants (java moss, java fern, aponogeton crispus, marimo moss balls) but I'd like to try a medium/moderately planted tank. I've done some research, but I want to make sure what I'm going to buy will work. I was thinking of getting either an All-Glass twin tube (40 watt) or an All-Glass compact fluorescent (55 watt). I'm having a hard time justifying the compact fluorescent as it's more than twice as much as the other light. Do you think I could get by with the twin tube as the tank is very shallow? If so do I need to get different bulbs than the 9325ºK it comes with?

If anyone has a better recommendation (especially if it's more cost effective per performance) I would appreciate that advice also.

Thanks in advance,
-Jake

·
Banned
5,279 Posts
You can get a Coralife 30" 65wt fixture for about $70. I just bought one for my smaller saltwater aquarium as a second light.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
The Aqualight comes in several versions. There's saltwater ones and freshwater ones. They also come in single, dual, four bulb and quad.

The one you picked with the 50/50 bulb is for saltwater use.

Here's the 30" 1x65w 6700K Freshwater Aqualight: Coralife Freshwater Aqualight Deluxe-Single 30" Strip at Big Al's Online

There's also a 30" 2x65w version but it will be too much for your shallow tank.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I am sold on the Coralife, but I have one more question. If I were to buy the all glass twin tube, I could just get the all-glass versa-top made for the twin tube (model #29352). However I'm not sure if it would accommodate the Coralife strip, as All-Glass does not post the dimensions of the top (need to know the size of the middle glass piece). Any suggestions on what glass top I should get?

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
Thanks for all the advice. I am sold on the Coralife, but I have one more question. If I were to buy the all glass twin tube, I could just get the all-glass versa-top made for the twin tube (model #29352). However I'm not sure if it would accommodate the Coralife strip, as All-Glass does not post the dimensions of the top (need to know the size of the middle glass piece). Any suggestions on what glass top I should get?
I highly recommend that you get the twin-tube Versa-Top. I've used it in the past. The front panel is shorter but the rear section is wider for for fixtures ~6" wide or so. It's made of thicker glass also. The Dr.'s have the dimensions: Aquarium Hoods & Canopies: All-Glass Twin-Tube Versa-Tops

If you want legs on your Aqualight; get the Aqualight Plus legs. They're much stronger than the regular legs. They come in two colors, black and clear. Notice the red and blue packaging.
Black Plus legs: Coralife Aqualight Plus Mounting Legs-4pk-Black at Big Al's Online
Clear Plus legs: Coralife Aqualight Plus Mounting Legs-4 pk-Clear at Big Al's Online

Don't get these legs. Notice the yellow packaging and they're the same price as the Plus legs. The regular legs are a POS and break easily.
Coralife Aqualight Mounting Legs-Black at Big Al's Online or
Coralife Aqualight Mounting Legs at Big Al's Online

I've gone to open top tanks now and I use the flip up legs (adjustable legs) now. You can't use a Versa-Top with these legs.
Coralife Aqualight Adjustable Mounting Legs at Big Al's Online

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
I almost forgot. The Twin Tube Versa-Top will work with the Aqualight Plus legs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts