The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a cannister filter for a 55 gallon I'm setting up. I've been looking at the Marineland C220 and the Penn Plax Cascade 1000, I can get both on sale through the local petco or petsmart, but this is my first cannister purchase, and I'd like it to be a good reliable one, as we all would. Any recommendations from you more experienced is much appreciated. I'm willing to spend some money, but there is a budget here, so preferably something less than $200. Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have Eheim 4+ pro. Green Aqua has a great video on canister filters on youtube. They over size with Seachem matrix always with great success.

I watch experts like them carefully. The sponsor Oase and use Eheim. The loose rotor pumps last forever if taken car of. US market does not really have built in heaters offered in other countries and probably a good idea safety wise.

Banter about ammonia is it is uptaken by plants but same channel promotes using lots of seachem matrix even if throttled back to convert ammonia quickly to avoid nussiance algae. I went that route with success. Turn over to tank of 3-5 times an hour with a large canister works for me. Smaller tanks need a bit more. Brand sizing charts are optimistic at best.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I have a Marineland Magnaflow 220 I have been using since November of last year . I like it . Quiet , easy to maintain and prime . Lots of room for media . Keeps my 40 gal clean . Only neg I have is it doesn't come with a spraybar , but I had one from a broken Sun Sun which fit perfectly . I would suggest getting a spraybar if you buy one of the 220's . If the 220 isn't big enough they have a 360 I believe also .

Reactions: Thedevilsbacon

·
Registered
140 Posts
Had a fluval 206 running for almost 7 years, it was a good filter. Currently I have 2 OASE Biomaster thermos 600, I chose these ones mainly because the heater is in the filter and also good reviews everywhere I checked.

I am setting up a new little tank this weekend and I am going to use an UNS delta 60, no comments yet about performance since is not currently running but I heard good things about them. It is nice becasue is a filter that you can HOB in the tank or use hoses with lily pipes.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Check out the Cobalt EXT canister filter. $120. on amazon. I have one on my 46 gallon, I checked out reviews before buying it 3 years ago. Solid unit and the ability to remove the hoses from the canister without turning it off for servicing is great. Only down side is the included hoses are wimpy so you'll have to get better ones. I got replacements at H.D.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have had my fluval 307 for about 6 months. I really like it. It is pretty quiet, the madia inside can be cleaned rather painlessly. The priming feature worked quite well too. The hoses and input/output were extremely easy to fit to my tank but were a bit clunky for my 12 gallon long. I think on a larger tank they would look less conspicuous.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
I own a penn plax cascade 700. Its ok... but not great. My complaints are that 1) they are annoying to prime, and 2) its relatively noisy. I mean its not super loud but it definitely produces a constant hum that can be heard anywhere in my home office where its located. I have a fluval fx4 I am planning to use for my 75 gallon. Its not setup yet but the build quality is far superior. /shrug

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I opted for the Magniflow C220.we have one that's currently running, and it does okay. I'll probably still supplement with a HOB or internal. Thanks for all your feedback. 🙂

And I got it for like, $76 through petsmart. Sign up for autoship and pick the longest length of time, once you get the product, cancel the subscription. In case anyone else needs a new filter.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.