The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Alec...I suggest that instead of the PC lighting, you look into T5 lighting. As for the substrate, you should be fine with the one you're looking at...or look into EcoComplete.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Light depends on what you are gonna grow, and be careful of 'black diamond' type products, Ive seen many tanks using black diamond substrate and its sandblast slag. I dont know anything about this particular product, but Black Diamond substrates that are sold are just over priced copper/iron slag from strip mining that comes in a bag at any hardware store or equipment rental. Last time I was at sunbelt rentals picking up a sandblaster I paid like 8 bucks for an 80 pound bag. But i second EcoComplete, as well as Flourite.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alec...I suggest that instead of the PC lighting, you look into T5 lighting. As for the substrate, you should be fine with the one you're looking at...or look into EcoComplete.
Would the Hagen Glo(2x54W) be able to grow plants well?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Light depends on what you are gonna grow, and be careful of 'black diamond' type products, Ive seen many tanks using black diamond substrate and its sandblast slag. I dont know anything about this particular product, but Black Diamond substrates that are sold are just over priced copper/iron slag from strip mining that comes in a bag at any hardware store or equipment rental. Last time I was at sunbelt rentals picking up a sandblaster I paid like 8 bucks for an 80 pound bag. But i second EcoComplete, as well as Flourite.
Did you look at the pictures? It looked pretty legit to me, but i do not know.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
Would the Hagen Glo(2x54W) be able to grow plants well?
Just make sure that you have planted aquarium bulbs and not saltwater bulbs.

Current's Nova Extreme T5HOX2 comes in a freshwater and saltwater version. You might like this one.
http://current-usa.com/novaextremet5hox2.html

Catalina is a very popular aquarium lighting company. You may want to check their T5HO products. There are many favorable comments about them on this forum.
http://www.catalinaaquarium.com/index.php?cPath=71&osCsid=1f043985df1955450f86dc5e696200c8

·
Registered
405 Posts
I'd get the 2X6700K and one 10,000K, but you can't go wrong with all three 6700K. Good choice of fixture, too, Alec.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
Why are the pink bulbs good?
They are plant bulbs. (Don't confuse these with regular pink bulbs. These are pink plant bulbs.)

They make the colors (wavelengths) that plants use for photosynthesis.

They also bring out the red (and blue) colors in the aquarium.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Alec,

I didn't mention, the Hagen fixture is fine. Its compact and does everything you need, but....

Mine hangs so its up out of the way. Otherwise the mount is nothing special. Legs that tilt the fuxture up out of the way for maintenance can be very handy and don't add too much cost.

For the fixture itself, it could stand to be a little deeper. A lot of light leaks out to the sides and illuminates the walls around the tank. I think there's room for improvement there. Also, the reflector itself does not surround each indiv. bulb which tests superior in the comparisons I've seen.

So buy the Hagen if its a better fit for your budget, it will be fine. But a deeper reflector and indiv reflectors per bulb would be a step up. If I was buying again (eventually) I will buy indiv, depper reflectors for sure.

AB

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
So i should get one of those pink bulbs and 2x 6700K or 1 6700K and 1 10000K?
If it was me, I'd get one of each for a 3 bulb fixture.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts