The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could some of you give me suggestions for some small fish species that could be kept well together and compliment each other in a standard 55 gallon (48x12x18)?

This tank has gotten a makeover including a dry start and I'll be looking to fill the thing up around Christmas. Typically, I've kept a center piece of a few angels, a school of harlequins or rummys, and otos.

Lately I've been thinking I may want to try 2-3 larger schools of smaller fish, no center piece, but still include the otos.

I love CPDs and would like to include those, but I'm interested in some suggestions of what others like and what might go well with CPDs.

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
the one thing i hate about CPD is that they're really shy thus hide a lot.
why not try rainbows?
trifasciata if you can find some
boesemanis or praecox are great too
I agree with the Rainbows, i think they are rather nice looking schoolers, even though they are a bit on the large side

·
Registered
483 Posts
I prefer to see two larger schools rather than three, just my opinion though. I would think a large school of one of the Pseudomugil rainbows would be pretty awesome and would contrast with how shy the CPD's are.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I personally like Harlequin Rasboras. I think rummy nose tetras and espei rasboras would also look great in a 55g!

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
All very nice suggestions above.
I really like CPDs as well, and they look real good together with the suggested espei or harlequin rasboras, along with a good-sized school of Ember tetras - but they also look good with Neons too.

I've had CPDs together with Embers, and Rasboras, along with a couple of small, peaceful Chocolate Gouramis - they looked real good together and got along very well.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Top: 12 zebra, leopard, blue, or pearl danios

Middle: 15 harlequin, narrow-wedge, lamb-chop, or emerald rasboras

Lower: 8 diamond, black phantom, or red phantom tetras, or 15 cardinal, neon, green neon, or ember tetras, or 12 CPDs

Bottom: 15 dwarf cories or 8 bronze or peppered cories

Cleanup/Maintenance Crew: 5 otos, 1 rubberlip pleco, 10 amano shrimp

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a school of 10 harliquin rasboras and 6 black neons in a a 30 gal they school together and their colors look nice together. Might be too big but my 55 has a big school of Columbian red fin tetras with a smaller school of tiger barbs. The fish get along and the tetras school nice and tight especially if there is a current.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have a 10 CPDs in my 40 gal. I've never found them to be shy save when I first put them in. They come to the glass to see me and are beautiful fish when they color up. Mine were tank raised by a breeder so that might make a difference as well. A large group of them would be stunning. I have mine with Ember Tetra and they go very well together. The blues/reds of the CPDs go well with the deep orange of the ember and they sometimes group together as well. You could also do a large group of a smaller rainbow fish, I had mine with Spotted Blue Eye Rainbows (I have one left after 3 males harrassed 5 females to death and then one male bullied the other two to death; get at least 3-4 females per male and get a large group if you go with these). I also have them with Panda and Sterbai Corys and Otos.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Most tertas arent really schoolers as much as shoalers. Depending on the activity level you are looking for you can go with rummynose, danios or rainbows for fast movement, rasboras are a little less crazy but they school well, and most tertas kind of spread out and chill in a certain area. Maybe a tight svhooling group like espei or harlequins and then a group of neons and glowlights. The rasboras will provide the movement mostly. Neons and glowlights will school together, very similar fish except for coloration, and will be a little less active and school a little loosely, but moreso than the hyphessobrycon types.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts