The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i have a 10 gallon tank and it's coming together nicely but the plants in the back are a bit messy. i'm wanting something that will fill in nicely but won't grow wild like the sunset hygro i have in there now. i have 4 wpg so light requirements shouldn't be a problem. any recommendations would be awesome! thanks guys

·
Registered
134 Posts
Possibly Rotala rotundifolia or Ludwigia palustris. The rotala could be kept compact and has that pinkish/red tone toward the upper portions of the stem if you want the contrast to the greens. The Ludwigia has the nice darker red for even more contast but would still have the "airiness" of the sunset. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I'd try some Micrantheum Umbrosum. It grows pretty small in small tanks with high light, and always straight up! I would say HM, but it spreads horizonatally really badly. So does R. Rotundifolia IME. Ludwigias on the other hand do grow straighter. I'd suggest narrow-leaf ludwigia - great for a smaller tank.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i have HM in the left corner but i want that to spread out some. the Micrantheum Umbrosum looks like it might be a good choice since it has small leaves and grows straight up. I'll have to keep an eye on the swap n shop. are there any red plants that might suit my tank? the ludwigia palustris might be nice just to add some color to the tank.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I have rotala sp. 'green' in the back of my tank and it has formed a bush and tends to grow fairly compact with regular trimming. The leaves have taken on a orange-ish hue with intense lighting.
HM is another plant that you should be able to shape into pretty much anything you want. I have it growing as a thick (2" tall) mat in the front of the tank, but you can train it to grow into a bush as well. It really depends on how intense your lighting it. More intense lighting will cause it to grow more compact/horizontally.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts