The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a good recomendation for a water cooler for under $300 for a $75gal?

My freeking water temp is hoovering at ~78-83

·
Registered
39 Posts
I don't have any recommendations for water coolers, but have you tried other ways of cooling the water before you put down the cash for a water cooler? Do you have a cover over your tank? You could take off the cover, this can lower the temp by a few degrees. You could rig some computer case fans over the surface of the water to aid in evaporation.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have any recommendations for water coolers, but have you tried other ways of cooling the water before you put down the cash for a water cooler? Do you have a cover over your tank? You could take off the cover, this can lower the temp by a few degrees. You could rig some computer case fans over the surface of the water to aid in evaporation.
Unfortunatly, I live in Denver, CO.. and its quite dry here. Humidity in the single digits to teens frequently throughout the summer. I can do what you suggested -- But I'd be filling up 5 gallons a day of water :)

The lights are fairly close to the water, I'm assuming thats my problem. if I raise them up another 2" and put a clip on fan that blows over it -- I wonder how much of a temp reduction that will give me.

Unfortunately the room is occupied also by 3 high end computers, and no AC. I dont think I will be able to get the temp in the room below 75-80 during the summer. Thats why I considered getting a water chiller.

·
Premium Member
1,885 Posts
Are you noticing your plants suffering with the temps in the high 70's or do you have livestock that can't take it? Last summer my 120gal tank got up to almost 90 during the day due to my apartment being 85 or so plus 2 175w MH lights about 3-4 inches off the water. The plants and fish all did just fine. On that note I don't think there are any decent (maybe not any) chillers that will work on a 75 and are under 300. The fans will bring down the temp quite a bit but like you said you will have to replace quite a bit of water.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you noticing your plants suffering with the temps in the high 70's or do you have livestock that can't take it? Last summer my 120gal tank got up to almost 90 during the day due to my apartment being 85 or so plus 2 175w MH lights about 3-4 inches off the water. The plants and fish all did just fine. On that note I don't think there are any decent (maybe not any) chillers that will work on a 75 and are under 300. The fans will bring down the temp quite a bit but like you said you will have to replace quite a bit of water.
I'm not.. I just did not want there to be an issue.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I read somewhere here about a DIY water cooler. We'll have to do a search.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
DIY coolers are usually coils of tubing put in a mini-fridge. Water is then pumped through it to cool. Or there are DIY thermoelectric chillers which would be very energy inefficient on a 75 gallon tank.

For a 75 gallon tank, I think you'd need to go with a 1/5hp chiller, which will cost you ~$475 used to ~$700+ new.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well if I can keep it at room temp or 1-2 over by moving the lights up an inch or two and putting a fan that blows over it, oever it.. that might suffice.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
you can try to make your own heat exchanger.
You'd need a pump and a really long hose. Basically mimmic how a fridge works.. pump water out of the tank through the long hose.. have most of the hose coiled up in a dark cool place in a bucket of water... then allow the water to go back to the tank.

Or I'd imagine a sump or a canister filter does the same thing.. You'd just put the canister in a cool place.

Try raising your lights up. I don't think that'll affect the plants too much.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts