The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gonna make a big old bucket of MTS while its still nice and hot here. And keep it stored away till I'm ready to mix it and use it for various projects. The problem is, while I can find all the ingredients, and preparation methods, and how to properly cover it with sand, and even how to fill the tank. But I can't find a single page online that has a recipe... What proportions am I supposed to use? How much of each ingredient? Also, what kind of clay should I get? All I've gleaned is red, for iron. Where can I get it? I live near Michaels, Joannes, and Wal-Mart mainly. Anyone know of any brands the I should lookout for?
But mainly how much of each ingredient? Ratios are cool too.
Probably enough to cover the bottom of a 50 gallon. Witht he soil layer about an inch thick.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
Mineralized topsoil doesn't have a recipe. It is a process. You just soak and dry soil until the organics in it are converted to inorganics by bacteria. Then, it is beneficial to add clay to it, and beneficial to put a dusting of potash and some dolomite under the MTS layer when you put it in the tank. Not all red clay is rich in iron, but a lot of it is. The clay should be purely mineral, natural clay with no additives added (like plastics or other substances to make it good for art uses). If you have laterite, that would be a good red clay to add. The sticky on MTS gives some approximate amounts to use.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mineralized topsoil doesn't have a recipe. It is a process. You just soak and dry soil until the organics in it are converted to inorganics by bacteria. Then, it is beneficial to add clay to it, and beneficial to put a dusting of potash and some dolomite under the MTS layer when you put it in the tank. Not all red clay is rich in iron, but a lot of it is. The clay should be purely mineral, natural clay with no additives added (like plastics or other substances to make it good for art uses). If you have laterite, that would be a good red clay to add. The sticky on MTS gives some approximate amounts to use.
Sheesh.. somehow after days of searching.... I completely missed that sticky... -_- ... Thank you..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.