The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Lisa and Kevin,

This time we went and bought a bigger tank as instructed by some helpfull people on here.

Ok so this time we set up the tank added CYCLE treatment and was told to add 4 little fish to start the filtration system so far in 24 hrs i have lost 2.

I have added a picture so you can help us with advice or comments...

So far in this tank there is 6 Neon Tetras (moved from old tank) and 2 cloud Tetras.

We added old tank water and old tank gravel, and squeezed out old filter sponge to help with filtration...

We thank you for any advice or comment thanks.

Told not to buy shrimp as neons will eat them and not to buy snails as the breed like crazy both of which we wld of like..

Lisa and kev

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
the only thing that is alive this morning is 2 cloud tetras. the PH is at 7, the tank is clear.

Please any advice.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Have you checked your water parameters? Especially ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?

Getting a tank to cycle can be tricky, even when you "do all the right things" such as using Cycle (was it kept refrigerated?), mulm from another tank, and a low bioload.

My recommendation if you don't have test kits is to take a sample of your water in a clean container, do a 50% water change, and take the water in to your LFS for testing.

My guess is you've still got a cycle you need to get through.

Small tanks can be tricky to properly establish.

And if you want to keep shrimp in this tank there's no reason not to. Just give them plenty of places to hide (more plants), and the tetras (and WCMMs) should leave the adults alone.

If you don't mind snails, then add those too.

It's your tank. :smile:

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Add plants. They will eat up the ammonia and help your tank to cycle. My favorite is Najas sp Roraima. You could us hornwort, wisteria. You're looking for fast growers.

It's probably the ammonia that's killing your fish. :( Sorry they told you to add fish before your tank was cycled! :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts