The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm new to the forums but wanted to join to get some advice on some algae I've had. I recently started up my very first planted tank/aquascape. The specs for my tank are as follows

Tank: 60-p ADA Tank, 17Gal

Substrate: Caribsea Eco Complete Substrate, Black

Filter: Aqua Clear Power Filter (5-20 US Gallons)

Lighting: Beamswork 3100 Lumen LED Light fixture (24")

CO2: Homemade CO2 System (with drop checker (always on light green))

Current inhabitants: One Amano Shrimp (molted for the first time today)

Heater: Eheim Jaguar Heater (50W)

Plants: Dwarf baby tears (foreground carpet), Java Fern, and one anubius

Recently I've had some algae grow on my rocks, entrance to my filter, and on my heater. It seems to be three different types, two are flat growers and is mixed between green and brown, while the other seems to be a moss like algae that's green. I know 3100 Lumens is very high lighting (for baby tears) so I've decided to cut down on how much light I will be adding to the tank (12 to 8 hours). I've also used a sterile toothbrush to scrub away the flat algae (both green and brown) but I have not yet scrubbed away the moss like algae (honestly not sure if it is algae or not) because I like the look of it but will remove it if it turns out to be detrimental to the tank. I'm not sure how to really go about solving this problem or even if it is one at all, any information or help would be greatly appreciated!

I've included pictures of my tank as attachments to this post. I'm really hoping some more experienced aquascapers/planted tank enthusiasts can help me out with some knowledge. I know there's a lot I don't know but I'm eager to learn!

Thank you in advance to all who help!

Vertebrate Light Blue Pet supply Lighting

Plant Wood Bedrock Natural landscape Grass

Plant Nature Organism Grass Aquatic plant

Water Bedrock Organism World Formation

Bedrock Watercourse Water Formation Outcrop

Gas Cylinder Electric blue Auto part Metal

Automotive lighting Headlamp Light bulb Electricity Fluorescent lamp

Water Fluid Sky Liquid Gas

Liquid Water Drinkware Automotive lighting Barware

Plant Terrestrial plant Leaf vegetable Wood Flower

Flower Plant Terrestrial plant Organism Grass

Organism Arthropod Insect Terrestrial plant Terrestrial animal

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I assume that the Beamswork is the DA FSPEC. That is a lot of light. With little plant mass (you'll need to add plants) and, likely, little and inconsistent CO2, you are a candidate for the algae growers association. Additionally, the Eco Complete will add some minerals (keep your GH, KH and iron high), but I don't think it has any macro or micro nutirents. Others may be able to comment better on that.

You can buy a dimmer for the Beamswork on Amazon (Current USA Truelumen Inline Dimmer for 12 and 24-Volt LED Strip) and I suggest you dim the light by about 50%. I'd start with 4-6 hours and work up from there. You may want to test your CO2 level. A drop checker is ok if done properly, but it would be better to hear what your pH drop is. Take a glass of tank water and let it sit out for a day or two. Measure the pH. Then measure the pH of your tank when the CO2 has reached maximum (about two hours after coming on). Ideally, we want to see at least a 1 point difference, which means CO2 is in the area of 30ppm. If you can achieve that, you can increase lighting again once you get some decent plant mass.

You need to add macros and micros. Look up the PPS system and/or Estimative Index system for fertilizers.

Your water looks a little hazy, unless it's the picture. Put a bag of Purigen in your filter. It will clear things up. I clean my filter weekly.

·
Carpe Diem
7,563 Posts
+ java fern and anubias will not survive planted in substrate, attach them to rocks instead.
The clamps of dwarf baby tears are too large, split them into 2-4 stem portions.

A single Aqua Clear 30 is not enough for that tank. You will need at least 2 for low light scape, or a cannister for higher light.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
More plants
I'm trying I'm broke lol

I assume that the Beamswork is the DA FSPEC. That is a lot of light. With little plant mass (you'll need to add plants) and, likely, little and inconsistent CO2, you are a candidate for the algae growers association. Additionally, the Eco Complete will add some minerals (keep your GH, KH and iron high), but I don't think it has any macro or micro nutirents. Others may be able to comment better on that.

You can buy a dimmer for the Beamswork on Amazon (Current USA Truelumen Inline Dimmer for 12 and 24-Volt LED Strip) and I suggest you dim the light by about 50%. I'd start with 4-6 hours and work up from there. You may want to test your CO2 level. A drop checker is ok if done properly, but it would be better to hear what your pH drop is. Take a glass of tank water and let it sit out for a day or two. Measure the pH. Then measure the pH of your tank when the CO2 has reached maximum (about two hours after coming on). Ideally, we want to see at least a 1 point difference, which means CO2 is in the area of 30ppm. If you can achieve that, you can increase lighting again once you get some decent plant mass.

You need to add macros and micros. Look up the PPS system and/or Estimative Index system for fertilizers.

Your water looks a little hazy, unless it's the picture. Put a bag of Purigen in your filter. It will clear things up. I clean my filter weekly.
Wow, I learned a lot from your post thank you! I just have two questions if you don't mind.

1) How would I go about dimming the light?
2) Is just having a drop checker ok?

Thank you for the helpful information! Hopefully I will no longer be a candidate for the algae growers association in due time haha

+ java fern and anubias will not survive planted in substrate, attach them to rocks instead.
The clamps of dwarf baby tears are too large, split them into 2-4 stem portions.

A single Aqua Clear 30 is not enough for that tank. You will need at least 2 for low light scape, or a cannister for higher light.
I was unaware I was not supposed to plant them! My Java Fern looks just about done, but my Anubius seems to be doing really well for some reason. Why am I not supposed to plant them?

Thank you!

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
1) How would I go about dimming the light?
2) Is just having a drop checker ok?
1) You'll need that dimmer to dim the light.
2) Drop checkers are ok, but they are very slow (2-3 hours) to respond to changes and are very dependent upon having the correct 4 or 5 dKH solution. Additionally, the solution should be changed every 2-3 weeks or it will get stale. I use it mainly as an indicator of dramatic changes, such as when the CO2 canister runs dry. The pH drop test is instant and gives you a more accurate read on your CO2 ppm level.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1) You'll need that dimmer to dim the light.
2) Drop checkers are ok, but they are very slow (2-3 hours) to respond to changes and are very dependent upon having the correct 4 or 5 dKH solution. Additionally, the solution should be changed every 2-3 weeks or it will get stale. I use it mainly as an indicator of dramatic changes, such as when the CO2 canister runs dry. The pH drop test is instant and gives you a more accurate read on your CO2 ppm level.
When I read "dimmer" last time I read it as "Dime - er" lmao. Brain fart sorry.

Thank you for your help!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts