The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received a couple bunches of Stargrass from aquariumplants.com alive, but in poor condition. Many leaves on each stem are already black/translucent. I planted them anyway, and continue to have leaves melting. However, the stems seem to be putting out alot of roots, both under the substrate and aerial. That is the only reason I didn't already rip them out of the tank.

Will they recover eventually, and what can I do to help them along if so? Just keep trimming off dead leaves as best I can?

As a sidenote, do they like being planted with each stem separated by some space, or clustered in little bunches?

Tank specs:
30 gallon standard
press. c02 at about 1-2 bubbles per second (20-30ppm estimate from ph/kh)
79 watt T5-HO, 10 hours/day
EI dosing for 20-40 gallon
tap water ph 7.4-5, kh 6°
heated to 79°F in tank

Thanks a ton for any help. These things are an eyesore and I can't take it much longer unless they will recover eventually.

·
Registered
298 Posts
This is a superfast growing/deteriorating plant. Don't worry at all. If there is any life in the mush you received soon you will have gorgeous looking plants providing you feed them well.

If you feed them well and have strong light you could expect up to 4 inches growth every day! On this picture I had trim the tops in the evening, planted them and took the picture the following morning. 3 days later the tops would reach the gourami that you see on the top of the tank! If you think that's fun hold on and speak after the first week of excitement :icon_smil

http://www.aquatic-plants.org/gallery/album13/DSCN7591_1_feb2505

The plant is a great indicator of lack of macronutrients. It literally deteriorates (black markings on the leaves) in a day.

They do put out roots yes. It's normal. They look best in a bunch, not separately. Don't try to have gorgeous looking bottom part of the stems - it's hard to do and not worth it. Hide the bottom parts the way Amano does it - with other plants, rocks and so on.

Beautiful plant. Good luck!

--Nikolay

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there a similar midground plant - maybe less delicate - that I could use instead? I ordered them overnight and they still almost died... don't want to try that again. :icon_sad:

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
If roots are growing you have a good chance. Personally, although I can grow many, many types of plants in my 72 gal, for some reason Stargrass does not like my tank and it sort of flounders for me. I've given up on it. Funny, I can grow with ease a number of other plants considered "Difficult" but this fairly easy one eludes me....

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
Stargrass needs high amounts of nutrients. It won't do well in lean nutrient situations. That might explain your troubles, Rich.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts