The Planted Tank Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I got my water lettuce and I got water hyacinth as well which I wasn't expecting. It was a nice surprise. I pulled the dead leaves out and trimmed the roots back a bit. I also separated several babies from the larger water lettuce plants. I expect that the floating plants will take a few days to as long as a week to get established in this tank. Once it does the water should clear. Of course I will keep doing weekly 50% water changes. I will be nice not having to do 50% changes every day however. The rest of the plants should get stronger and healthier as well. I priced diy co2 kits but they want 30 bucks. That's insane. If I go the diy co2 way I will also make the reactor especially since I will be getting pressurized co2 in a couple months.

Flower Plant Purple Petal Pink

Flower Purple Petal Plant Organism

Water Pet supply Fluid Organism Pink

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I performed a 66% water change yesterday evening. I didn't realize how much stuff accumulated in the floating plant roots. It was enough to make the tank cloudy. During the water change I used my water change bucket and swished the plants around until the rinse water ran clear. The water looks much better now and the fish including my 7 guppy fry love it. I am starting to get that green fuzzy algae on the glass. It's not hair algae thank goodness. The snails are eating it and have much of the front glass cleared. There is still some hair algae still on the rocks but nowhere near as much as there was a week or so ago. I want to encourage the fuzzy algae to keep growing since I intend to get some otos or cories in January or February. As far as my plants go I am wondering if my floaters are getting too much light. I want to raise the lights higher but if I do then par at the substrate will likely go down substantially. Still I am going to try raising the lights 6 inches above the floating plants in the hope that the leaves won't turn brown and dry on the edges. This change might let me see my emergent plants. One of them has a bloom that will open up in two or thee days. The second bloom likely won't open for another week or so. It is weird that the lighting would be too intense for the water lettuce and water hyacinth plants. I am grateful that my lights are strong because my plants will grow like crazy. At this point I won't be buying anymore fish until I get co2 going. I could stock more but that would create more algae issues than I already have. As I said earlier I want the green fuzzy algae but not so much that it would be as bad as the hair algae was.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
My lights are burning my my floaters for sure. I just posted about this hoping to find out how high to raise the lights but I am thinking 6 to 8 inches. I might also raise the lights 6 inches and drop the water level an inch. That would keep some decent par at the substrate. I noticed the Amazon sword has tightened up a bit and the leaves have turned greener since I put the floating plants in. I have also started running the lights 8 hours a day instead of 12. My plants have almost no algae on them now. I have a ton of snails so I think they are helping keep the plants clean. Once the tank gets a lot more plants the snails will likely be harder to see compared to now. I am happy with how many snails I have but I won't let them get much more numerous, especially the bladder snails which do tend to eat plant material unlike pond snails. Also of note is that my tank is much clearer than it has been in a while. The plants are starting to get established at long last. Hopefully that trend will continue.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts