The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Introduction:
College and work have kept me busy, but now I have some time to dive back into the hobby! Had some free time so I picked up a stand and went digging through my closet. Time to start a new shrimp tank. Going to take my time and do it right!

Tank: 20 gallon long

Filtration: Fluval 205 (trying the reverse UGF method)

Lighting: 24" T8 or Archaea clipon (low light)

Substrate: Lava rocks, Fluval shrimp stratum

Flora: Mini xmas moss, Fissidens, and more to come!

Fauna: Otos, CRS or CBS

UGF setup:

Spray painted back with Krylon Fusion:

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts
Have FSS in my Fluval Ebi since July, all is going well.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome back Ben! Forget about the stratum...the buffering wont last too long. Might as well do it right and go with AS.
Well I have about 15 kg of it, maybe I should use it as a cap? I like how it looks I just don't want it to sit around.

Have FSS in my Fluval Ebi since July, all is going well.
How are your shrimp doing? and whats the pH settling at?

·
Registered
843 Posts
I have had a 20L with FSS since aboout July also, just checked parameters yesterday, ph 6.6 KH 0-1 GH 6 and TDS 175 but of course that is controlled through remineralization and the shrimp are doing great. But, It would seem that the FSS is somewhat inconsistant and I think my next tank will be Aquasoil despite my good experience so far.

I have also heard that UGF will shorten the life of the soil???

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have had a 20L with FSS since aboout July also, just checked parameters yesterday, ph 6.6 KH 0-1 GH 6 and TDS 175 but of course that is controlled through remineralization and the shrimp are doing great. But, It would seem that the FSS is somewhat inconsistant and I think my next tank will be Aquasoil despite my good experience so far.

What ph is your water before adding it to the tank?

I have also heard that, but it looks neat and tidy, i can't resist! Also the undergravel pvc will be and output so hopefully clean water and a lot of output holes will lessen the deterioration of the substrate.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I use remineralized ro water that I store in a 42 gallon rubbermaid trash can and that water is about 7.6 ph

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Then just at root tabs when you see plants like crypts are not growing well. That is what I am doing. For it easier than replacing the substrate when it peaters out.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
School Took over again, but the Summer should allow me to get back into the hobby. I finally set up the tank and I'm just growing out the mini xmas moss and fissidens I kept alive.

• Normal UGF with Fluval 205
  • HOB filter to seed tank and provide extra flow
  • 1/4" glass top cut to sit perfectly on tank
  • T8 light fixture built but needs side panels
  • Moss growing out, May pump CO2 to get the moss going
  • Wood is still being held down by rock
  • Small pump (blue thing) may be used to diffuse CO2

Need side panels for Light.

1/4 in. glass covers entire tank except for a small slit. It was less than $20!

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks! The substrate is lava rock for the UGF and then Fluval Shrimp Stratum.

Also do not mind the placement of items in the tank, they will be moved once the driftwood sinks.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Been a while since I updated, but work on the tank has progressed! It goes through phases of upkeep and neglect so here's a snapshot from about 3 weeks ago. I'll be updating with current pictures soon.

Any one have ideas of what plants to use for the background and foreground?

Current Fauna:
4 Otocinclus
7 Neon Tetras
2 Amanos

*Got The 7 Neons Tetras to eat scuds, so I am unsure about their long term inhabitance.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
What other plants you add depend on whether you or going to be dosing with continuously injecting or dosing Co2 Excel or not using either. Which is it?

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What other plants you add depend on whether you or going to be dosing with continuously injecting or dosing Co2 Excel or not using either. Which is it?
I'll be dosing excel, I'm hoping to go medium tech with this tank, good growth but low maintenance. The only plants I can think of right no are crypts and anubias.

I plan on filling the right side behind the log with plants, any plant recommendations besides cyrpts?

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How about Brazilian milfoil on the left side?
I'm guessing you're saying back of the left side. There is not much room back there but that would look nice, I had not thought about planting that side, I would have to move the wood forward though.

Thanks for your recommendations Hilde!

I'm thinking parva for the foreground but parva is very slow growing. Anyone have experience with micro sword or another low grower that's not high tech?

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
School's getting the best of me again but I'm determined to put in work on the tank. Added a brach to the back, moved the SS mesh to the back wall to make way for plants! Ordered some pfr as well.

Going to make this tank into a natural looking, controlled jungle.

Sorry for the glare!

FTS

1 - 18 of 18 Posts