The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can I create an extremely slow drip, like only 5 gallons per day?

I want to do a continuous water change system on a 40 breeder. I'd use a 0.5GPH drip irrigation emitter for 12g/day on a 100g tank; but I need less than half of that, and they don't make drip emitters that slow.

It has to be nearly maintenance free and reliable. I don't want to worry about a flood if I go on vacation for a week. I guess maybe a needle valve might do it?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Bulk Reef Supply has a doser that has a 1.1ml/minute flow rate. You could hook that up to a timer and it should do what you need it to. They are well-made, moderately priced and have a 2 yr warranty.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I don't know how you plan on supplying the water, but if you wanted to go the drip irrigation route, use the smallest one (0.5 gph) and add a timer to the setup and figure out how many hours a day it needs to run at that rate. I haven't done drip irrigation before, but I do use the Rain Bird irrigation timer hooked up to a soaker hose in the garden and it's awesome, especially down here near the coast where we see 90+ temps from June - October. I use this one:
Rain Bird 1ZEHTMR
It allows for a maximum run time of 6-hours with up to 2-start times per day, so if the math for that doesn't add up to your total, get a bigger emiter or pair of the smaller ones and dial it back in the time.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
It sounds like you want an automatic water changer. Look into auto dosers which should be able to get you to that 0.5 gph mark that you said you wanted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts