The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can I create an extremely slow drip, like only 5 gallons per day?

I want to do a continuous water change system on a 40 breeder. I'd use a 0.5GPH drip irrigation emitter for 12g/day on a 100g tank; but I need less than half of that, and they don't make drip emitters that slow.

It has to be nearly maintenance free and reliable. I don't want to worry about a flood if I go on vacation for a week. I guess maybe a needle valve might do it?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Bulk Reef Supply has a doser that has a 1.1ml/minute flow rate. You could hook that up to a timer and it should do what you need it to. They are well-made, moderately priced and have a 2 yr warranty.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I don't know how you plan on supplying the water, but if you wanted to go the drip irrigation route, use the smallest one (0.5 gph) and add a timer to the setup and figure out how many hours a day it needs to run at that rate. I haven't done drip irrigation before, but I do use the Rain Bird irrigation timer hooked up to a soaker hose in the garden and it's awesome, especially down here near the coast where we see 90+ temps from June - October. I use this one:
Rain Bird 1ZEHTMR
It allows for a maximum run time of 6-hours with up to 2-start times per day, so if the math for that doesn't add up to your total, get a bigger emiter or pair of the smaller ones and dial it back in the time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.