The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
1,801 Posts
ok. this may be the dumbest question ever, but I have to ask....

how do you get the shrimp out of a breather bag? I received shrimp in a small breather bag. I tried to place them in a small pitcher so I could acclimate them. as i poured them in the pitcher, some of the shrimp got stuck in the bag without water. so I really couldnt acclimate some of them. I just filled the bag up with tank water and they swam into the tank.

is there some secret to this procedure?

·
Banned
943 Posts
Just gotta dump em quickly enough for the water to suck em outta the bag. But yeah it can be tricky. Or leave them in the bag, but open it and place the bag in a cup.

·
Registered
342 Posts
i always use scissors, i cut three sides quickly as i can but also avoiding the shrimps..
i also tried cutting opposite sides but didn't work as expected..

or use a paper clip, an old car battery, and an empty soda can, cause i'm awesome like macgyver.. lol..

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Bowl, razor blade and a small cup to keep refilling the bag until it's empty. It would also be a lot easier if the bags didn't have all the writing on them so you could see if it had anything left in it. lol

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
what james said. place open bag into bowl. cut open on one side all the way to the bottom, obviously avoiding any shrimp. Then either remove bag or perform further cuts as necessary to remove bag without damaging any shrimp.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
OR ..... if you dont care about the shrimp you could always put it into a blender.
I always get eating them questions from friends when I say I'm breeding shrimp. They're like, can I eat some. I'm like sure, crystals are 3/4" and you can eat them for $8 a piece. Then they understand they're not "shrimp ring" shrimp. lol.

·
Banned
943 Posts
I always get eating them questions from friends when I say I'm breeding shrimp. They're like, can I eat some. I'm like sure, crystals are 3/4" and you can eat them for $8 a piece. Then they understand they're not "shrimp ring" shrimp. lol.
My biggest mistake ever was telling all my co-workers about my shrimp hobby lol. They made every stupid comment you can think of. Now they always make some comment about "are your shrimp having sex yet?". lol.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
My biggest mistake ever was telling all my co-workers about my shrimp hobby lol. They made every stupid comment you can think of. Now they always make some comment about "are your shrimp having sex yet?". lol.
Yup. I say waiting for them to breed, and I get, did you trying light candles and playing some barry white for them, make them a nice meal, dim the lights, etc, etc, etc. lol. Then I tell them, well 1 mother can give 30 eggs every few months and higher $$ species can go for 5-10-40 a piece and they change their tune. lol.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I prop a small breeding box at an angle so that all the water in the bag (small bag) goes to one corner. I usually slide a small piece of stryofoam or whatever under one end of the container to do this. Next, I place the bag in the container, and cut it below the rubber band so that it is wide open. Then I just pour the water with the shrimps into the corner quickly, but carefully and gently. I drip them at 2 drops per second, and once there is enough water, I put the container flat again.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I open the bag and set it sideways into a tupperware container, letting the water flow into the container taking with it most if not all the shrimp. Then I carefully turn the bag inside out and slosh the bag through the water. If I know how many shrimp are in the bag I do a headcount before I toss out the bag to make certain I did not miss one. If I am not sure or there are so many you can't possibly count them, I fill a bucket with fresh fish-save water and rinse the bag out really good to get every last shrimp out. Then I net those from the bucket and toss them in with the other ones in the tupperware container and start to acclimate them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts