The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I've heard that they are impossibly to catch once introduced to a planted tank, and that you'll end up tearing your tank apart if you ever decide to get rid of them.

Now, I'm not sure on this, as my memory is slightly cloudy, but I think I remember seeing something on how once they get older/more mature, they actually lose their appetite for alage and get a little bit aggressive. Someone correct me if this is a different fish I'm talking about.

OMG, MY 1,000th POST!!!

·
Banned
217 Posts
^^youre thinking of chinese algae eaters. they stop eating algae when they mature and become aggressive

Siamese algae eaters are the "most" sought after algae eaters for planted tanks because they are hungry and docile and gentle with the plants...theyre just hard to find after the recent tsunami in indonesia in 04? that destroyed a good chunk of their natural habitat/breeding grounds :icon_sad:

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Now, I'm not sure on this, as my memory is slightly cloudy, but I think I remember seeing something on how once they get older/more mature, they actually lose their appetite for alage and get a little bit aggressive. Someone correct me if this is a different fish I'm talking about.
I personally don't care for them b/c of this tendency. Of course, individual fish behavior can always vary, but I had this issue with SAE in the past and had to get rid of them.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Oh, maybe it was the CAE I was thinking of. I'm not sure- I just remember hearing that one of them gets aggresive when older and stops eating algae.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.