The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone run the inline reactor?with the bioballs it will also help with bio-filtration,but how is it opposed to just munching my co2 through a canister filter.rena xp2 to be excact.thanks

·
Registered
711 Posts
I would say if the amount of co2 being injected in to the inlet of any canister filter is no more than 2 -3 bubbles per second ,any canister should be able to handle that.
In you case try it with one or 2 bps and see if your xp2 is making strange noises,if it does ,then try an external reactor.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
I run a couple of the in-line reactors. Not a single one with bio-balls in it. And bio-balls that are submerged in water do nothing more than offer space for bacteria. Conditions in a a reactor are totally different than those in a wet/dry.

·
Registered
220 Posts
It is the AquaMedic Reactor 1000 that has black bio-balls in it. I believe they are meant to help break up the CO2 which is injected from the bottom. Nothing to do with bacteria colonies (I don't think). I run this reactor and it works great. Of course it ~$60. I think the kind Rex uses are DIY for $2-5 and just as good.

Running CO2 through your canister is like running air in your canister. In tiny amounts it probably won't make too much noise, but if you need to crank the CO2, you may get some annoying noise and potentially have problems with your filter (many don't like having air pushed through them)...

My preference would be a reactor. The DIY ones look pretty easy to do if you want to save a few bucks.

·
Registered
137 Posts
the idea of the bio balls is the create turbulance and macerate the CO2 getting it to fully disolve. I use my Eheim as the reactor and get 100% absorption (though I only have about 1BPS- more than 2 or 3 BPS will usually lead to som airpockets whcih is not great for the filter). Only down-side is there is a co2 tube in your tank, so if you liek to get things out of the tank- bad idea. rex's reactor design looks like it would would work just fine. Check out the DIY forum as well. Diablocanine put up a similar design with pretty detailed instructions. (I'm gonna stick with my canister reactor though!)

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
does anyone run the inline reactor?with the bioballs it will also help with bio-filtration,but how is it opposed to just munching my co2 through a canister filter.rena xp2 to be excact.thanks
I ran it through Fluvals instead of XPs. Injecting into a filter works but I like my reactors with bio balls much more........DC

1 - 8 of 8 Posts