The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My thoughts for the setup in construction now is something new. I don't see it built this way often and it may be for good reason. Regardless, I'm curious and want to share my idea for discussion.

I would like to take the feed directly from the CO2 to one of the intakes on my filter. Doing this would benefit me as no powerhead for inside the tank is neccesary, no reactor is neccesary. The setup would be as follows

CO2, bubble counter, filter, tank.

Very simple, and hopefully worthwhile.

The pump is the eheim 2180

·
Registered
137 Posts
eheims are pretty good at that. I had mine set up like that for a long time, but I'm going to put a reactor on. I'm sick of the burping. But if you don't mind the bubbles come out of your spray bar now and then, you'l be fine.

·
Registered
933 Posts
What concerns me is if to much air builds up, would it cause an airlock and the filter becoming damaged? I've never used a Eheim though let alone pernounse it. LOL

·
Registered
137 Posts
airlock damage s a def. problem to keep in mind, but Eheims are better at handling CO2 injection than other canisters for some reason. One thing though- U just can't have ur bubble count up way too high. Maybe .5 BPS.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
all good points, thank you for those.

I'm currently looking at aquariumplants.com gathering some more information on this.

They have reactors there for 25 dollars, at that prices, its worth it, if only as an insurance plan for the eheim!

deciding between the three of these through

http://www.aquariumplants.com/product_p/am-73011.htm

http://www.aquariumplants.com/product_p/pr374.htm

http://www.aquariumplants.com/product_p/pr378.htm

Considering my tank is 130 gallons, The pump powered reactor seems unneccesary, so i'm leaning towards the other 2, and have heard great things about the 1000 (the first link) model.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
IMO, On a tank that size, those powered reactors will be way underpowered.
FWIW The AM 1000, uses 1/2 hose barbs, and could restrict your flow depending on the size of hoses used on your filter.

I tried running 2 AM 1000s on 2 eheim 2026s on my 125 gallon, @ 3 BPS each, and they weren't cutting it.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Not a one of those reactors will handle a 130 gallon tank.

Your best bet would be a DIY external PVC reactor.

And if your tank is longer than 4' you should think about having two CO2 injection points.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well thank you for that Rex, are you talking about the DIY PVC reactors I see around on the web? A couple of bio balls in there?

The tank is 4'x2'x30"

OK, I see on your site you build reactors, I'm curious what the price range would be on a product for my above tank. I work with PVC all day, which is why I ask, I can most likely build one myself, just curious if there is anything very specific that I would need to apply to this application.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I built one of his and love it. I get 100% of the C02 staying in my tank. It was cheap and you can alter it a bit to fit where you want it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Has anyone tried running the CO2 feed into the intake of a HoB filter? I've been running DIY yeast with a Hagen ladder for a year which has been enough CO2 for my tank's needs. Today just out of curiosity I wedged the CO2 line into the intake of the filter to see what would happen.

I'm seeing a lot of tiny bubbles bouncing around now. I did a waterchange earlier today as well so its kind of hard to tell if the bubbles are from that or if the impeller on the filter is serving as a psuedo-reactor. The cynic in me says this won't work due to the open nature of the filter versus the typical cannister, but I'm going to give it a day or two and see how it works.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
airlock damage s a def. problem to keep in mind, but Eheims are better at handling CO2 injection than other canisters for some reason. One thing though- U just can't have ur bubble count up way too high. Maybe .5 BPS.
If its working for you great....this is only thought that was on my mind really that stopped me from doing it. Having a turtle allows higher CO2 levels, so I didn't want to choke the filter with the constant input.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.