The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have a 20gal long tank. It has a Coralife 24" 65w 10k PC mounted on modified aqualegs. I don't really care that the sides are not very illuminated because on the sides there are anubias. I am using Seachem ferts and press CO2. The problem is that by the end of the photoperiod the Hygrophila difformis, Hygrophila polysperma and Rotala seem to reach up for the light (all the leaves bent up) and growth seems stunted. They haven't put out any new leaves in about 5 days. That seems odd to me. My other plants Ludwigia, Vals, Crypts and Anubias seem to do fine and grow normally. The only thing that I can think of is the 10k bulb. Maybe I should change it for an 6700k. I don't really have any other explanation as the ph is 6.5 from 7.6(tap). Gh is 6, Kh is 8. I've been dosing like a madman and doing weekly 50% WC's and don't have any algae problems in this tank (knock on Ebony). Any thoughts? Thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
Not sure if this is what you are seeing, but usually plants will redirect themselves in the direction with the most light. The same thing with sunflowers and how they change position in order to soak up the most sun. Sometimes plants will bend in the direction of say sunlight coming in from a window, because it is brighter than our tank lighting could ever be. I notice this with my rotala, as well as the rotala on the side of the tank, where they recieve more indirect sunlight, turn a pinker color on their tops than the others. Also at night or when they have had enough sunlight the rotala close their leaves at the top. They point upwards but it is only the few top leaves that form kind of a bud like a new flower. I believe this is what you are talking about. There is a name for it I just can't remember at the moment. Did I lose you with any of my ramblings?:icon_smil
Found it: [APD] Re: Closing up for the night - or Nyctinasty

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
During the day the Hygrophila difformis looks normal but about 2hrs before the end of the photoperiod it looks like a cone. Very narrow at the bottom and broader at the top. Like this:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess this could be it but the fact that since they started doing this they have not grown much leads me to belive that there is something wrong. Maybe its me and since I added a lot more plants I don't see the growth anymore. Thanks for the link.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.