The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I came into a thrown away tank, nice size for planted, 30 gallon, 100cm X 30cm X 38cm (Length/Depth/Height)

After cleaning I found the reason it was thrown out, had a leaking seal, so I’ve taken off all the silicone & re-sealed it today.

The old silicone appeared to go in between all the glass panels rather than glued and sealed as my others have been, I’ve re-sealed anyway & hoping it has worked.

I’ve just noticed after sealing I have a tiny amount of either air bubbles or even water droplets behind the originally leaking seal, I’ll attach a photo..

Question is do I take off all the sealant and reseal the entire tank.

Take off the one side and partially reseal.

Go for it and see if it leaks.

Many thanks

I have to shine a powerful torch onto it for it to be seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
276 Posts
I vote throw some water in there. maybe tilt it so you don't have to completely fill it and see if it's leaking in a few hours.

I haven't ever resealed a tank before but I am good with the physics of this world so far. As long as the seal is good and there is enough that has gotten inbetween the two panes of glass that nothing shifts when filled it should be okay. If the seal is good the water pressure should just make it tighter, no? again unless the panes move or something under the pressure.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
So from my experience, the silicone sandwiched between the glass should be good. Sorry if you've already done so, did you scrape the silicone off with a razer blade? And then did you clean up the scraped parts with acetone?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So from my experience, the silicone sandwiched between the glass should be good. Sorry if you've already done so, did you scrape the silicone off with a razer blade? And then did you clean up the scraped parts with acetone?
I did, scraped off all the silicone inside, the original silicone seemed to go through to the outside which I left, but had a clean glass joint on the inside, then I cleaned with “clean spirit” which is a non toxic version of white spirit (UK if from elsewhere)

I think it’ll be okay, I’ll fill it up on Saturday evening & see, if not I’ll give it one more go with cleaning and re-sealing the entire tank again, if not then I’ll throw it away, no money lost but would much prefer my plants in a bigger tank, it’s an older tank, found the manufacture date which was around 15 years ago, it’s a Juwel, just haven’t seen the seals before where they go through to both sides of the glass

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I agree with @Aaronious. Give it a 24 hour (or longer) water hold test. Out of the three tanks I've assembled and sealed, 2 of them had bubbles in the silicone. Held up for over a year and would have continued to hold if I had kept them.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I rescued an 80 gallon tank, very similar to what you did. Scraped off as much of the old stuff as I could, but left what was between the panes as there were few bubbles. Cleaned everything as best I could, then applied a new silicone bead to the inside and allowed it to cure. I water-tested it for a couple of weeks (I was in no rush to set it up). I believe I had it fully set up for about 2 years before selling it off.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks as though it’s holding water, been 2 days now so looking good, I’m going to move some turtles into the tank for a week and reseal their tank whilst I have a spare empty tank & then I can start the planted tank.

Will most likely go for a dry start, one question I have a fluval Nano planted light, would having 2 of them be okay, ideally I’m only going to have maybe 1/3 actually planted & the rest as sand, not sure if I can justify spending £80 on a light to light up sand to be honest

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks as though it’s holding water, been 2 days now so looking good, I’m going to move some turtles into the tank for a week and reseal their tank whilst I have a spare empty tank & then I can start the planted tank.

Will most likely go for a dry start, one question I have a fluval Nano planted light, would having 2 of them be okay, ideally I’m only going to have maybe 1/3 actually planted & the rest as sand, not sure if I can justify spending £80 on a light to light up sand to be honest

False alarm, found that the originally leaking panel is still loose so tank is no good, will still half fill & use as a temporary tank for the turtles but no good for full use unfortunately.

Whilst I’m here, anybody recommend any brand for rimless tanks, about 30g

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Awe man sorry to hear that. I can't recommend a rimless brand, but would you be willing to assemble your own? Find a local glass shop, give them the measurements and request a quote. Assembling a new one is easier than re sealing an old one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts