The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RE: New plant rinsing and QT of same..

After additional research, I am going to do a peroxide dip and tap water rinse of my new plants. I have read where many have QT'ed their new plants. I do not have an up-and-running QT tank right now. I did read a suggestion about QT'ing the plants in a bucket of tank water for a few days with an air stone.. Has anyone tried that?

Thanks for the help...

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I haven't done peroxide, BUT I DO QT my plants. Normally I use a spare tank, bucket, what ever, water, float the plants, and an air stone or pump for circulation, toss a cheap light on on the tank timer, maybe ferts maybe not depends on what I've got. The first 2 days I do an alum soak instead of peroxide, rinse and refill the container and let it sit the rest of a week. I QT everything even duckweed and driftwood as I REALLY don't like snails in my tanks, never had an issue.

Keep in mind that there is no need to worry about a cycle with plants only so you can setup a tank and tear it down very easily. A longer term holding tank I would add some substrate but for short term use like this, there is really no need.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like setting up my 10GA tank and QT'ing them in some water from my 60GA tank should do the trick.. I have a light source for it, along with an air stone. I can then add some CO2 Boost and Excel while they sit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts