The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok I did my due diligence to find the person who I got this idea from on TPT, to give credit where credit is due. It was just the other day and probably in the Free Sample Thread the California Black Worm people did (thank you!). I can't seem to find it, but just be aware wherever you are BLACK WORM ANGEL that I thank you once a day for this trick!

Go find yourself a nice big syringe, like the ones they sell at the drug store for ear cleaning. Not the squishy rubber bulb ones. The 30+ CC units that look like standard syringes.

Take the needle part off if it comes with one. We won't need that. Pull the plunger all the way out and off the body and fill it with your portion of black worms. You can put them in whole or chop them for your smaller animals. Both will pass through the tip after hydrating.

Put the plunger back into the barrel and push it down almost all the way to the seated position but don't mash on it or you'll compact the worms and they'll need persuasion to loosen off the bottom. Pull some water up from the aquarium and tip the syringe upright vertically and tap it like you learned from Dr. Kildare, to get the bubbles loose. Then eject the air out so there's very little left in the barrel.

Hold your finger over the tip to seal it, and pull the plunger back as hard as you feel comfortable and hold it there for 3-4 seconds under vacuum, and then release. Do this a few times, and now you have re-hydrated worms!

These act just like frozen worms in the water. They sink and the fish go nuts for them. My frustration with floaty dry black worms is finally gone!

Happy Holidays

PS: This technique might work with smaller syringes. Most drug stores have "oral syringes" they give away to give meds to babies. I haven't tried this in one of mine yet, but I bet it would work with them too. And they're free if you ask the pharmacist nicely. :)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts