The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about this the other day, although I don't know if I would advocate the further genetic mutilation of our environment (but some thoughts are cool regardless of morals). Would it be possible to re-engineer a plant to be fully aquatic? In the same way we engineer corn to be pesticide/insect resistant? I want the first under-water-melon:flick:

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
quite possible...and I don't think it is morally wrong

·
Registered
774 Posts
Possible? Maybe.

Happening anytime soon? I doubt it.

It would be too difficult/expensive to happen anytime soon. There are too many variables that make plants aquatic or not. I am certainly not an expert in this area of anything, but I would imagine that it is extremely difficult compared to the genetic engineering they do one commercially grown plants. Plus, there's not the market (compared to the agriculture industry).

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You might get some interesting new leaf formations to adapt to aquatic conditions. :biggrin:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Possible? Maybe.

Happening anytime soon? I doubt it.

It would be too difficult/expensive to happen anytime soon. There are too many variables that make plants aquatic or not. I am certainly not an expert in this area of anything, but I would imagine that it is extremely difficult compared to the genetic engineering they do one commercially grown plants. Plus, there's not the market (compared to the agriculture industry).
no demand? difficult? what about the zebra danios re-engineered with sea anemone dna to glow in contaminated water? What about the food industry, I could see farms for edible aquatic plants. I don't know if I'd agree with doing it given the unforseen consequences of creating an invasive species. But thats what humans do best, even in our knowledge we play.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I was thinking about this the other day, although I don't know if I would advocate the further genetic mutilation of our environment (but some thoughts are cool regardless of morals). Would it be possible to re-engineer a plant to be fully aquatic? In the same way we engineer corn to be pesticide/insect resistant? I want the first under-water-melon:flick:
Finding new aquatic plants is way easier if you simply shove every marsh plant into a tank and see who survives. Eventually you will get lucky. As to fancy forms, you can wait for something to interbreed or spontaneously mutate to a strange leaf form.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
no demand? difficult? what about the zebra danios re-engineered with sea anemone dna to glow in contaminated water? What about the food industry, I could see farms for edible aquatic plants. I don't know if I'd agree with doing it given the unforseen consequences of creating an invasive species. But thats what humans do best, even in our knowledge we play.
Here in India we have 'makhana' which is really popcorn made from water lily seeds.
We also have 'singhara' which are the fruit of the water-creeper of the same name. The seed (only one per fruit) is edible raw tastes like a sweetish nut and is made into flour after drying.
Then we have 'kesar' another water-lily which flower emersed, but more important are its rhizomes which are edible.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Oh yeah from what I hear that Brazillian Pennywort is edible.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Am I really the first person to write this (?) ... they've done it with tomato and tobacco plants, so I want a ...

...glow-in-the-dark plant!:alien: I don't care what species, as long as it grows (glows) in my tank.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
not that I advocate,...but, it'd be nice to pull out of my living room tank :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Alrighty guys, quick reminder that this is a family friendly PG forum. No more mean green references. :p

I think this is such a cool idea though - I'd love to see glowing HC making a mat across my foreground. That'd be even better than moonlight LEDs. The AGA Convention had a speaker from Tropica (Troels Anderson I believe) give a talk about how plants physically change when adapting between submerged and emersed states, going into details about cell structure and CO2 uptake and the like. It was really interesting, and I don't think it would be out of the realm of possibility at all. Science is pretty amazing sometimes :)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
whoops, sorry bout that. In all seriousness I'm kind of wondering whether there is any tangible research out there as to this subject.
"I think this is such a cool idea though - I'd love to see glowing HC making a mat across my foreground. That'd be even better than moonlight LEDs. The AGA Convention had a speaker from Tropica (Troels Anderson I believe) give a talk about how plants physically change when adapting between submerged and emersed states, going into details about cell structure and CO2 uptake and the like. It was really interesting, and I don't think it would be out of the realm of possibility at all. Science is pretty amazing sometimes
I've had the notion for awhile just never posed it to the forum. That sounds like an interesting talk, I've actually never seen any literature on how that particular metamorphosis works, any online references?

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I'm sure there are... but you'd have to google around a bit. The presentation is available on DVD from the AGA website too, if you'd rather just watch the talk. It also has a presentation given by our very own IBN on inverts - which, in my opinion, is the best inverts talk I've ever seen.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hmm.. I didn't find specifics, still looking but found this ucla article at Aquatic Plants a segment of which discusses the gas-transfer adaptation that enables aquatic/semi-aquatic plants to thrive, interesting stuff. It seems to refer to more rapid growth rates in aquatic plants due to an internal pressure which distributes o2/co2 more evenly (allowing gas/nutrient transport to rhizomes/roots that may be deep in anaerobic soil), and aids in giving plants more bouyancy. I think!! :icon_eek:

An important adaptation for many freshwater aquatic plants is the formation of aerenchyma, which is parenchyma tissue having large intercellular air spaces. Aerenchyma functions both to store oxygen and to transport that gas to living tissues. This gas collection is important in leaves for buoyancy. In addition, the system of lacunae is a diffusion pathway for oxygen; the oxygen is, of course, made in the chloroplasts during the light reaction of photosynthesis. Oxygen, when released via photosynthesis, diffuses preferentially into the lacunae, because it cannot diffuse as rapidly into water and comes out of solution in the intercellular air spaces, where oxygen concentration of trapped air there may be one-third or greater. Here it can be used in constructive ways by aquatic plants. A leaf midvein, petiole, or stem develops an internal pressure, which enables oxygen to be transported via bulk flow in a lacunar network to rhizomes and roots located in the anaerobic mud and muck, permitting these organs to grow more rapidly. Gases can also move in bulk to young tissues, where the pressurized air helps expansion of developing lacunae near the growing tip. The cut end of an aquatic plant will give out bubbles (underwater, of course) from lacunar gas under pressure

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.