The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I first got my rcs I had noticed that a few of them had this orange stripe going from head to tail. Now that they are breeding I'm noticing more and more of them. It seems that the only ones that have the stripe are very red and large. Is this something that is normal and just happens when a shrimp reaches maturity, or is it unusual?

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's normal.

I've heard it's more commonly on females.
And I've heard it's more of a wild trait and so is less desirable for breeding, but hey, I like it!
Ok, cool! I like it too.

It's normal, some people actually classify those as a separate grade of shrimp if they breed true that way. I find those shrimp are typically a deeper more maroon red, whereas the ones without the stripe are a bright candy apple red
Interesting, what is this grade called?

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Well I know there is a strain of yellow Neocaridina with the racing stripe down their back.
I've heard them called "Golden Back" or Neon Yellow shrimp (regular yellow Neos w/o the stripe are called Fire Yellow or Sakura Yellow or just Yellow Neos)

Not all strains are developed to the same degree. Really well bred strains even have the males showing the racing stripe trait and not just the females, so that strain would end up breeding more true.

Haven't heard of the strains/grades being created for other colors, but I don't know it all.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Racing stripes are a genetic trait and perfectly harmless. They tend to rank lower than non-striped shrimp unless they're yellows.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.