The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Most people try to sell them around half grown. They are supposed to ship better at that size than when adults. However, I've shipped and received full sized, berried females without any problems.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
When I have bought them I intentionally get juveniles, perhaps 3/4". Haven't sold any, but I like the younger shrimp. They seem to adapt to a new tank faster and of course, you're getting the shrimp for nearly its entire life instead of whatever fraction of the adult's remains. I think as long as you state clearly the size of the shrimp you're selling you shouldn't have problems.

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
Ya, thats the problem with adults, you don't know if it just turned like 6 months and got full grown or its 1.9yrs old and at the end of its life. With juvi's you know. And they do aclimate better.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
With a shrimp as prolific as the RCS I think that the life span of an individual shrimp is way over-blown in the argument on what age to purchase but the juveniles ship and adapt better so that takes precedence anyways.

·
Premium Member
7,997 Posts
one centimeter is considered a decent size, that's about a month from breeding age, and that's the same amount of time it usually takes for shrimp to settle down and begin breeding.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I noticed you were from SC, I'm in the columbia area and brand new to site/hobby. I currently have a very low tech 10g with a few CRS and amanos and was thinking of starting a small RCS breeding colony. Let me know if you decide to sell some off as I would be happy to take them off your hands.

Also, I've been lurking the forum for quite some time but this is my first post so hello everyone!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts