The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like buying online is hit or miss because the breeders I've seen over grade their shrimp so I'm wondering if it matters more to have high quality males or females? Obviously quality + quality hypothetically = quality, but the LFS has some high quality females for a decent price (since there's no shipping) and the obvious perk of seeing them in person so I'm wondering if I get Sakura male and fire red females if the shrimp would be more likely to take after the male and dilute or the female and stay a good quality. Obviously there's culling and all that but since I'm setting up a new colony I just want to know if it'd be worth it to risk paying more for an advertisement of high quality when in actuality they could be not great.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok so high grade females and I won't have to sweat it much? I've bought a lot of high grade shrimp from the LFS and I never got babies. Maybe the males I thought I was buying were female although they were much smaller and not as rounded.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea I was pretty sure they were male but I couldn't get them to breed. I was thinking they didn't like the presence of the Betta so I am currently cycling a tank for shrimp only to set up a bigger colony of proven breeders. That's what sparked the idea about the males, partially because low quality are easier to tell but I don't want to start a colony of bad shrimp.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts