The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've got 3 males and 4 females. the females have saddles and then they molt and the eggs should be in her spinerets, but she always drops them! all 4 have gone thru the process a few times now but they never hold on to the eggs. what gives?

·
Registered
889 Posts
i do a 35%-40%WC once a week. temp is constant 72-76F. i was using stress coat as a conditioner but ran out so im using week old aged water for now.
I think the StressCoat may be the culprit here.

A quote from crazy.eddie on Petshrimp.com:

Most dechlorinators, like Stress Coat bind with the chlorine. It also binds with the chlorine contained in the chloramine. Unfortunately, one of the bi-products is ammonia (chloramine - chlorine = ammonia). Other products, like Prime, also bind with the ammonia, still making it available for plants and bacteria, but harmless to inhabitants, like fish and shrimp. Therefore, there's an assumption made that the small amounts of ammonia left over from using Stress Coat could be harmful to the eggs.

If you search around, many people had no success with eggs when using to Stress Coat. When they later switched to Prime, they had better success. I was one of these shrimp keepers. I had RCS for several months and always used Stress Coat. I've seen lots of shrimps with eggs, but no babies. A few weeks after switching to Prime, I started seeing more babies and continue seeing them.
I hope this helps!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I think the StressCoat may be the culprit here.

A quote from crazy.eddie on Petshrimp.com:
Most dechlorinators, like Stress Coat bind with the chlorine. It also binds with the chlorine contained in the chloramine. Unfortunately, one of the bi-products is ammonia (chloramine - chlorine = ammonia). Other products, like Prime, also bind with the ammonia, still making it available for plants and bacteria, but harmless to inhabitants, like fish and shrimp. Therefore, there's an assumption made that the small amounts of ammonia left over from using Stress Coat could be harmful to the eggs.
If you search around, many people had no success with eggs when using to Stress Coat. When they later switched to Prime, they had better success. I was one of these shrimp keepers. I had RCS for several months and always used Stress Coat. I've seen lots of shrimps with eggs, but no babies. A few weeks after switching to Prime, I started seeing more babies and continue seeing them.

I hope this helps!:thumbsup:

Cool. I was quoted :D

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Do you have another tank that you don't feed copper to? I get most of my shimp tank water from my planted 55g.

Pre-proccessed and I know it is shrimp safe and NO amonia, NO nitrite, and very very little nitrate (since plants have sucked out most of it).

·
Registered
7,228 Posts
Do you have another tank that you don't feed copper to? I get most of my shimp tank water from my planted 55g.

Pre-proccessed and I know it is shrimp safe and NO amonia, NO nitrite, and very very little nitrate (since plants have sucked out most of it).
Thats what I'm going to be doing with my 10g CRS tank, big 55g thats next to it is nice and stable... Best way to fill up a tank is with good old water!

Prime is worth it's weight in gold to me. And for $10 for the largest size, it's one of the cheaper products in this hobby:icon_roll

-Andrew

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.