The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every week I have a shrimp die. They always have the crack in the back like a failed molt. I am confused. The tank is full of molts weekly and the parameters all seem right. I saw a shrimp today with a crack in the exoskeleton like it was about to molt and then a couple hours later it was dead. The shrimp are constantly breeding and there are about 25 babies in the tank.
KH-4
GH-7
PH-7.2
feed fluval shrimp food and algae wafers.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Maybe too much protein in their diet? Protein causes them to grow faster than usual.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Maybe too much protein in their diet? Protein causes them to grow faster than usual.

doubt it I learn from a professional shrimp keeper that he feed 2x a day and I followed him. no death for me.

many beginner shrimp keepers maintain water parameter correct but there's still death. I've been there before.

Bump: your tank is lacking something

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I've heard some people note the white separation on the back is normal and is just a indicator they are going to molt soon. I guess it doesn't always mean a flawed molt. I've always just let my shrimp do their thing and so I never paid close enough attention to notice for myself.

Are you injecting co2? Pressurized or DIY?
Dosing anything at all?
Water change with tap or R/O remineralized?

How old are the shrimp?
Ever used copper in that tank ever? (even many months or years ago)

Just to double check, do the shrimp seem to die just before or in the process of molting? Or do they die shortly after molting?

Can you think of any possible stressors causing an issue?
Shrimplets survive and grow just fine?
Any dropped eggs? Seem to be only females dying?

How long have you had/how old, are the adult shrimp?

Sorry for all the questions, just looking at all the possibilities it may be since the water parameters do look fine.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
No co2 in this tank and I'm using the same tap water that my other shrimp tank uses. I put in melafix at water changes but just started that in case there was a bacterial problem. Some of the shrimp in this tank came from Indiana and the others are local. A lot if the ones from Indiana have died though over two months possible from stress or molting problems. The shrimp that seem to die look like they are about to molt and then drop dead in a few hours.

I am not sure how old the adults are as they are all new to this tank. I have had them between 2 months and 1 month. The babies seem to be growing just fine. I only ever saw one set of dropped eggs.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've had a similar problem with my shrimp lately too. My parameters are close to yours, but a little higher (kH 5, gH 8, pH 8.0, TDS 175). They'd start getting white bands and then fail to molt, dying. I had bought the shrimp as adults so I figured they might just be failing to adjust to different parameters, and it was generally my larger females that would have this molting issue, but it was getting rather frustrating. I'd heard people swear by iodine/iodide, and when another of my females got the white band of death I decided to give it a try. I added a drop of it to my 2.5 gal, and to my surprise she successfully molted and is now berried! Maybe it was just coincidence or maybe it was because of the iodine, but I figured I'd share my experience.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've had a similar problem with my shrimp lately too. My parameters are close to yours, but a little higher (kH 5, gH 8, pH 8.0, TDS 175). They'd start getting white bands and then fail to molt, dying. I had bought the shrimp as adults so I figured they might just be failing to adjust to different parameters, and it was generally my larger females that would have this molting issue, but it was getting rather frustrating. I'd heard people swear by iodine/iodide, and when another of my females got the white band of death I decided to give it a try. I added a drop of it to my 2.5 gal, and to my surprise she successfully molted and is now berried! Maybe it was just coincidence or maybe it was because of the iodine, but I figured I'd share my experience.
same iodine thats found in table salt?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm not sure if it's the same or not. I know people use it in saltwater setups because it's needed for those shrimp and corals I think. I bought Kent's Iodide and from what I've read that's what most people use. There isn't much out there as far as solid data goes on whether or not it actually helps freshwater shrimp, but most people who do use it do half the recommended dose, just to be safe.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.