The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently set up a 10gallon planted tank about 3 weeks ago. I am using Aquasoil and its still leeching tannins. The water gets pretty yellow and I have been doing 50% water changes daily. The tanks been cycled for over a week now.

I have some RCS coming in this week, will they be alright in the yellow water? How often can I get away with doing water changes with shrimp in the tank?

I put some purigen in the filter, but water is still yellow tinted. I am so ready for the water to be clear.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Um...I'm not exactly sure if the tank will be cycled within a week or a week and a half. Also, AS tends to take a bit longer to cycle through.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Tannins will not affect your shrimp...

I doubt however, that your tank is in fact cycled after such a short period using ADA AS...

Shrimp do much better in a fully matured tank

JMHO, YMMV, Yadda Yadda Yadda...ect ect....

Larry K

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well im using a mature filter so that prob sped it up. Ammonia and nitrite spiked and have been at 0 for over a week.

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
O i just figured it out that I set the tank up on July 31. So I guess its been more like over 4 weeks since it started cycling.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I wish you (and your shrimp) all the luck in the world :proud:

post some pics when you get them in the tank!

Larry

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I chickened out and put them in my 2.5gallon for now. I am going to wait another week since I'm gonna have to drain it again once I get my new rocks in. The shrimp seem to be fine in the 2.5 since all that was in there was a couple of amanos. So I'll try to get them in the 10g next week.

I'll see how the cherrys and amanos do in the 10gallon for a while. Then the plan is to get about 10CRS/CBS and 10 boraras brigittae and maybe throw in a nerite or assassin snail since I already see some pest snails. I'll start a journal as soon as I get the hardscape completed. (I know I'm doing it backwards with the hardscape last but it took me forever to find some rocks I liked)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts