The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Yes it would not be a problem, just make sure water parameters are ideal (same with any fish). Its highly recommended to have moss and other plants in the tank, for hiding and breeding purposes.
The real question is what fish do you currently have in the tank? Or plan to have?

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure yet. I feel like the idea of a planted Cherry Shrimp, just them by themselves, is pretty nice. Maybe a couple snails, too. If I did have fish I was thinking some kind of small schooling/shoaling fish

·
Registered
363 Posts
Just be careful on what snails you get. Some people hate them because they breed rapidly. If you going with schooling fish and you have a good size aquarium, check for different levels fish tend to swim in. Some swim at top of tank, middle, and low. With a 55g you have so many options to go with, just research and ask people with tanks you like to see what they have to offer.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Could you put a whole bunch of Red Cherry Shrimp in a heavily planted 56 gallon column aquarium?
Last time I tried to count mine I gave up at 200. I just let them do there own thing. I do have sponge filters on my intakes. Even with the sponge filters, when I clean my canisters l find small cherries.

·
Registered
363 Posts
You have the room for a school of oto's which would be active swimmers and dominate algea better than snails would, without them breeding like crazy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts