The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a bit concerned about my nano tank. When ever the largest of my female RCS are berried I come home to find them dead later on. I do dose my tank with excel, but very sparingly. The endler fry are unaffected as are the rest of the shrimp and adult fish. It always seems to be the largest of my females when they are berried. This is a pic of her when I fished her out, her sides where black and the eggs were gone. I'm just not sure what to think.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tung: I don't go crazy over testing water parameters. I test every other month or so, and it has always been preferable results. However I suppose another testing wouldn't hurt, I know thinks could always happen. They whole tank gets Hakari mini pellets. The tank mates are 1 oto, trio of endlers, 1 assassin snail, 2 tiger shrimp, 1 amano, 4 RCS, and one celestial pearl danio.

Mordalphus: I watch my tank for an hour a day or so. The night before I didn't see anything like that. Would a Bacterial infection act that fast in the tank or affect the other fish? Everything looks normal.

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
It could be the excel you are dosing. I believe if you do a search on this forum it is up for debate whether it causes deaths or not.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I've not had a cherry die and produce anything other than a pink corpse... I'd have to second the bacterial infection idea. The missing eggs are no great mystery. Once the shrimp dies they are tasty treats for anyone who happens along (other shrimp.)

·
Banned
532 Posts
I am a bit concerned about my nano tank. When ever the largest of my female RCS are berried I come home to find them dead later on. I do dose my tank with excel, but very sparingly. The endler fry are unaffected as are the rest of the shrimp and adult fish. It always seems to be the largest of my females when they are berried. This is a pic of her when I fished her out, her sides where black and the eggs were gone. I'm just not sure what to think.
ISTM her eggs were still there. Since only the largest of the berried females were affected, I wondered whether it was a case of accumulated poison. If you can, stop Excel dosing to see if things improve.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I will stop the dosing. IDK the craziest thing is that it is only one female at a time, always the largest, always berried.... This is the third time now, however, this time I was able to get to her body before she got snacked on. So the blackness is new.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.