The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had 5 extra RCS from my office tank so I brought them home.

When i put them in i saw one of my glo fish go for it but it didn't eat it so I thought they were fine. I had to leave for a few hours and when I returned they were all gone. Here is the list of fish I have. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me which one ate the RCS.

4 Glo (danio) fish
2 Red eye tetra
1 Cory (I think it's a shwartz)
1 Albino dwarf frog
1 "walmart" Pleco

I thought all of these fish were small enough not to eat them. The only 2 I think that might have are the Cory and the Frog (which is blind as a bat, my wife picked him out and he has 1 eye and it's glassed over so we still aren't sure if he can see)

Thanks,

·
Registered
357 Posts
It was either the tetras or the danios. They'll gang up and pick shrimp apart piece by piece. The other guys wouldn't bother them - unless they were already dead.

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
The frog is a good suspect too. Those things are a mouth with legs. The only fish that is 100% safe with shrimp is the Otocinclus

Also you should be aware that the "Walmart" pleco is probably the generic common pleco, and has the potential to hit 36" long.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I would say probably the frog. They can sense the shrimp as well as smell it. Even if it is somewhat blind, he does manage to eat, right?

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
my frog ate anything that would fit into its mouth. very agresive suckers. he even tried to eat my finger before...

·
Registered
37 Posts
hmm ive kept RCS with two frogs for a while now and the shrimp are alot faster than the frog, i almoast feel for them...so much stalking for a mouth full of moss :(

Are you sure there all gone and not just hiding away somewhere? sometimes i can go for days without seeing mine :S

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I sat in front of the tank for the past few days and i haven't seen a single one.

I'll keep watching though.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I thought my RCS were gone also and did not see them for about 3 months then one day I saw one on a clump of moss. Since then I have seen at least two different shrimp out of the five I put in the tank.

If they are gone I would think the frog would be the most likely suspect.

Bruce

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
The frog.

If it's an African clawed frog it will eventually eat every critter in your tank That's the only "albino" dwarf frog I know of but I could be wrong. They start off cute but grow large and in my eyes ugly!!

Here's a link on how to tell the difference: http://allaboutfrogs.org/info/species/clawedordwarf.html

Keep RCS's in their own tank.

·
Registered
30 Posts
man...I know you have herd this but that common pleco is gonna be huge in about 6 months, they are like Oscars. They are small and cute at the store but down the road you find out you need a 150g tank, and they will destroy any plant matter thats in that tank. Just a thought you might want to look into selling that pleco and getting a bristle nose pleco (they only get to 4-5 in) before that common pleco wrecks your tank. Oh yea and my $$ is on the frog as the shrimp eating culprit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts