The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all looking for some advice for my RCS tank.
I have a 20long tank and started with about 30 RCS (approx 15 from one seller and 15 from another). These numbers may be slightly off because despite all my reading on their care I had some early deaths from my inexperience keeping shrimp. :(

I have a stable environment now with about 100 juvies in the tank. The first of the juvie females are just starting to saddle.

How does the f1, f2 (I've seen this around but not seen it really explained) generation mapping work?

Am I set up sufficiently to avoid inbreeding and have a stable, nicely colored population a few generations down?

Also are there any opinions on how large a population a 20gal (heavily planted) tank can safely hold?

PIKs of my skrimps! :3

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
I have a stable environment now with about 100 juvies in the tank. The first of the juvie females are just starting to saddle.

How does the f1, f2 (I've seen this around but not seen it really explained) generation mapping work?

Am I set up sufficiently to avoid inbreeding and have a stable, nicely colored population a few generations down?

Also are there any opinions on how large a population a 20gal (heavily planted) tank can safely hold?
1) Don't worry about F1, F2, etc...since you already have inbreeding in your population.

2) No. Trade shrimp with someone every 6 months or so to keep the genes "fresh".

3) Hundreds. 300+ at the very least.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Congrats on the colony surviving.
Add new stock whenever you want to freshen up the gene pool. Pull out any young adults with deformity issues whenever you see them and put them into your community tank.

I would stick to getting new stock every 6 months or so IMO.

My colony has been alive for almost a year now, I try to buy berried cherry shrimp from my lfs whenever I see them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.