The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shrimp Experts! What's a good readily available food for my RCS? I don't think mine are getting enough from the fish's leftovers since the fish don't leave much.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I use Hikari's Ship Cuisine and Crab Cuisine. Fresh vegetables also work well. They would also probably go for canned green beans - the advantage over fresh is they readily sink with no preparation. A question though, what makes you think they need additional food? RCS mostly pick at biofilm and micro-algae anyway.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
My favorite is Ken's veggie sticks with extra calcium :)

Obviously this depends on size of tank and size of colony, but chances are good that you don't actually need to feed them. Their primary food source is biofilm and algae, and extra food is really only useful for faster growth and encouraging egg development.

Now, if you have more than a couple dozen in a smaller tank, then occasional supplemental food might be needed. For reference, I kept about 30 in a well established 20 long for about three months without feeding them anything without any losses. I only started supplementing once a week because new babies came along, and then once I got to about a hundred, I started feeding 2-3 times a week.

They really don't need as much food as we think, but it is fun to watch them eat, and additional food can help them grow faster and possibly encourage reproduction.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use Hikari's Ship Cuisine and Crab Cuisine. Fresh vegetables also work well. They would also probably go for canned green beans - the advantage over fresh is they readily sink with no preparation. A question though, what makes you think they need additional food? RCS mostly pick at biofilm and micro-algae anyway.
My favorite is Ken's veggie sticks with extra calcium :)

Obviously this depends on size of tank and size of colony, but chances are good that you don't actually need to feed them. Their primary food source is biofilm and algae, and extra food is really only useful for faster growth and encouraging egg development.

Now, if you have more than a couple dozen in a smaller tank, then occasional supplemental food might be needed. For reference, I kept about 30 in a well established 20 long for about three months without feeding them anything without any losses. I only started supplementing once a week because new babies came along, and then once I got to about a hundred, I started feeding 2-3 times a week.

They really don't need as much food as we think, but it is fun to watch them eat, and additional food can help them grow faster and possibly encourage reproduction.

It's an 85 gallon tank and I couldn't tell you how many shrimp there are. I've not fed them in the past and they just get what the 20 or so tetras don't eat which doesn't seem like much so I thought it might not be a bad idea to supplement them a bit.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
It's an 85 gallon tank and I couldn't tell you how many shrimp there are. I've not fed them in the past and they just get what the 20 or so tetras don't eat which doesn't seem like much so I thought it might not be a bad idea to supplement them a bit.
In that size tank, I wouldn't worry about it. Also, in my experience, tetras will eat at whatever you try to feed the shrimp, so it might be a futile exercise anyway unless you have some way of putting it where fish can't get to it.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In that size tank, I wouldn't worry about it. Also, in my experience, tetras will eat at whatever you try to feed the shrimp, so it might be a futile exercise anyway unless you have some way of putting it where fish can't get to it.

I think I'll just continue on as is then.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts