The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got some RCS and CRS a couple days ago and the Cherry reds which looked like they were about to molt when I got them have died. The first was two days ago. This shrimps eyes were very white and it had a white band on its back. I saw it swim up towards the top then came back down on his back.

The next died over night and I found him this morning...once again with the white line on his back

My params are as follows: (with aquasoil)
Kh - 4
Gh - 6
TDS - 165

I have some seiryu stone in this tank and am planning on removing it this weekend. My parameters out of the tap are Kh - 2 Gh - 5 TDS - ~90.

I also just received some shirakura Ebi Dama that I am going to start feeding. I read that perhaps they arent getting a proper diet?

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
What's your pH? Temperature?

CRS are more sensitive than RCS, so the water parameters should be more suited to the CRS range. And so your KH is too high (most likely your pH is too).
Look here to see water parameter specs
Dwarf Shrimp Water Parameters ? DiscoBee

However, newly arrived shrimp can die simply due to shipment. Adults are known to not tolerate shipping very well. Did their internal tissue turn a milky white (might have to look at their undercarriage).

Though it does seem there was a molting issue since it sounds like it died in the process. So the KH/pH may be the issue. Definitely take out the stones ASAP if they are keeping the PH too high.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hi thank you for the response.

Strangely the RCS are the ones dying not the CRS. The flesh was pretty milky but I am no expert. I've had Cherry shrimp once before and never had any problems they reproduced to epic proportions with no special care.

My pH last time I checked was about 6.4 last time I checked and my temp runs at 74 degrees.

EDIT

I have a question now about adding a little more amazonia to my tank. I pulled half the seiryu stone and one of the pieces left a large hole in the substrate. Can I add a ~handful of amazonia to the tank or will this release too much ammonia. This is an 11 gallon tank.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Well the RCS do prefer more alkaline pH. Being new and the transportation is stressful for livestock. If the RCS came from a much high pH tank and weren't slowly drip acclimated to the new lower pH, the shock/stress of it all combined may have just been too much. The CRS came from similar pH which can explain why the transition isn't as hard on them. RCS are very adaptable though, so no real need to raise the pH, they will adjust, just that first introduction would of been more successful if acclimation was done so more gradually (some sources say adjusting to different pH, TDS, GH, KH can take days, but drip acclimating does help).

Would be a good idea to double check the water parameters though.

As for the substrate, that's iffy. Especially since the shrimp are new and still adjusting to their new tank, I personally would hold off introducing any more stressors (ammonia).
The lower pH would have more ammonium than ammonia, but still there would be extra converted nitrites. Adding more stress wouldn't be ideal right now. I assume you could prepare some in a separate container, just doing 100% water changes for a while. But most manufactures recommend waiting a month before adding livestock to a tank with new Amazonia-like substrates. Though I'm not sure just how much ammonia would be released just by a handful. Beneficial bacteria population would grow to handle the increased nitrogen levels, but that would take a day or so (that lower pH does slow down beneficial bacteria performance though), but I always prefer not inducing any additional stress on new livestock since they are already stressed enough. It's up to you if you want to take that risk. They may be able to handle it, but better safe than sorry, I say.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again.

I am probably going to add it slowly considering the hole is very small I don't think it will effect the parameters very much. I'll probably give it a week just to let everything settle down from pulling the rock though.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Sounds good.

Many people talk about having great success with molts when using Iodide supplements (Kent's Iodide is commonly recommended, Seachem Iodide looks good too). Might be something to consider using if you are having issues despite water parameters being correct. You would have to look up dosing instructions though for just using it on freshwater shrimps (it's usually meant for saltwater corals), but I have heard of just using 1/8th of the instructed dosage on the label.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts